Last updated: July 2022
France is one of the most beautiful countries in the world, from the peace and relaxation of rustic living in the countryside to the romance of Paris, the country’s marvelous capital city. Planning to visit the French territory for a holiday, family visit or business? Make sure you are up-to-date about the visa requirements for France.
Most visitors from outside the European Union or Schengen zone need a Schengen visa to travel to France as a tourist. This visa allows you to visit any Schengen country for up to 90 days. Find out what the Schengen visa application for France is all about below and how to apply via iVisa.com once it becomes available online.
What is a France Visa for the Schengen zone?
If you’re not from Europe or a Schengen country, a visa may be needed for traveling to any of the 26 European countries that have agreed to become what is known as the Schengen zone. These countries have relaxed border control for easier travel between them. They have also agreed to develop a uniform visa process for foreign nationals known as the Schengen visa.
Short-stay visas are generally issued for 90-day stays. This visa for France can also be used for any other Schengen country as long as your visa has not expired. Soon you can easily and quickly obtain your Schengen visa through iVisa.com.
There are four different types of French Schengen visas. Let’s take a quick look at each visa and who they are for:
- Type A: This is the airport transit visa. It allows foreign travelers to make connecting flights in a Schengen country if applicable to their nationality. You can not leave the airport and visit the country with this type of visa.
- Type C: The Type C visa is the tourist visa for France. It can either be single entry, double-entry, or multiple entry and can last for up to 5 years, each visit not lasting more than 90 days.
- Type D: This French long stay visa is designed for foreign nationals looking to reside long-term in France and is mainly for students, workers, and non-tourism purposes.
Who is eligible to apply for this visa to visit France?
You may or may not need a visa to visit French territory for vacation. Whether you need a visa for France is determined by your nationality. Check the convenient iVisa.com Visa Checker or consult the French embassy near you if you need a visa to travel to France.
Most foreign nationals from outside the Schengen area are required to get a Schengen short stay visa to visit France. Some countries have an agreement which makes their citizens visa-exempt to visit the region, such as the United States and Australia.
How long is the Schengen Visa valid?
The France Schengen visa allows tourists to stay in France for up to 90 days in a 180-day period. If you leave the Schengen zone after 90 days, you must wait another three months before you can enter the country again.
Keep in mind that any and all travel in Schengen countries adds to the 90-day total. This means that if you get your French visa and spend 30 days in France and then 30 days in Germany, you will have used 60 of your total 90 days.
The visa itself can be valid for up to 5 years. There are different types of Type C Schengen visa and they each last a different length depending on your travel needs.
France visa application requirements and required documents
Before you enter France, you must have your information and documents ready. You will soon be able to apply online. These are the French visa requirements:
- Passport valid for at least 3 months after the date you plan to leave the Schengen area
- Proof of a return flight or other return travel arrangement
- A travel insurance policy that covers a minimum of 30,000 Euros
- Proof of accommodation for your stay
- Proof of financial means
- Proof you have paid the visa application fee
- A completed visa application form
- Two passport-size photographs (if you don’t have one, check out the convenient iVisa.com photo service)
- A proof of your home residential address
- An email address for obtaining your documents
- A credit card or debit card to pay for the visa fees
Do I need a Schengen Visa when transiting through France?
Most visitors can transit through France without a visa when staying in the international transit zone at the airport. If you want to exit the airport to transit to another mode of transportation, you may need a Schengen visa or transit visa.
However, some nationalities are required to apply for a Type A transit visa when transiting through France or another Schengen state. Please contact your local embassy or consulate to check if this applies to you.
How to apply for the Schengen Visa online
Once we are able to offer this visa online, the easiest way to get a visa for France is to complete your application on iVisa.com. Our visa experts can assist you at every step of the process. You’ll just need to have your documentation and payment method ready, and we’ll handle the rest.
The earliest you can apply for a Schengen visa is 6 months before your date of travel. It is recommended that you apply at least 15 days before you leave to make sure you have enough time to get your documents processed.
When applying, you’ll have to follow these steps:
- Step 1: Complete the visa application form with all the necessary information. Make sure to read all the information carefully. You can then select the preferred processing time.
- Step 2: Make sure your visa application is accurate. Then, pay the visa fees online with a debit or credit card.
- Step 3: Submit to apply for your France tourist visa and attach any required documents.
You should read all the information carefully and double-check the spelling. You may not be able to change any information after submitting your online application.
Once the online application approved, a confirmation will be sent by email. You need to show proof of your visa status to immigration officers on arrival in France.
Costs and processing times of the France visa application
iVisa.com offers three options when it comes to processing times, the price varies:
- Standard Processing Time: This is the most affordable option and is perfect for those who have some time to spare before their trip to France.
- Rush Processing Time: This is a faster option for getting a Schengen visa quickly if your trip is coming up soon.
- Super Rush Processing Time: This is the fastest possible processing time and allows you to quickly start your travels to France.
Do children or minors need a Schengen visa?
Children and minors are required to have a Schengen visa for travel to France. These visas have many of the same requirements as adult French visas, but they do require a few other documents. For example, it may be needed that both parents will need to sign the visa application if traveling with a single parent or guardian. Other rules may apply.
COVID-19 requirements for France
France is one of the last EU countries to still have strict regulations in place for COVID-19. Here’s what you should know about getting a French Schengen visa during covid.
Testing and vaccination requirements for France
The following documents are required for travelers to enter France without quarantine:
- All air travelers that wish to visit France must fill out a European Digital Passenger Locator Form before entering.
- Proof of vaccination or proof of recovery from COVID-19, or a negative result from a PCR test taken within 72 hours or antigen test taken within 48 hours before departure.
Quarantine and testing are not required for children under 12 years of age.
Who can I talk to if I have more questions?
Are you ready to get your France Schengen visa? Reach out to our customer support team at any time to learn more or start your visa process. You can also email [email protected] for advice on all your visa applications.
- France Travel Certificate error
- Which COVID-19 vaccines are approved for travel for France (July 2021)
- France digital COVID Certificate
- PCR Testing in Paris, France
- France Vaccine Requirements: Do I need a vaccine to travel to France?
- How Citizens of Netherlands Can Enter France During Covid
- How Citizens of UK Can Enter France During Coronavirus
- How Citizens of Canada Can Enter FRANCE During Coronavirus
- How Citizens of Portugal Can Enter FRANCE During Coronavirus
- How Citizens of The United States Can Enter FRANCE During Coronavirus
- How Citizens of Switzerland Can Enter FRANCE During Coronavirus
- How Citizens of Spain Can Enter FRANCE During Coronavirus
- How Citizens of Italy Can Enter FRANCE During Coronavirus
- How Citizens Of Belgium Can Enter FRANCE During Coronavirus
- How Citizens of Germany Can Enter FRANCE During Coronavirus
- Entry Requirements For FRANCE Covid: Learn More
- FRANCE COVID RESTRICTIONS TRAVEL: EXPLORE MORE
- FRANCE COVID TEST REQUIREMENTS: ALL ABOUT IT
- Do I need a vaccine to travel to France?
- France 14 day quarantine requirement
- IS THE FRENCH VISA A SCHENGEN VISA?
- How to Apply for France ETIAS for Citizens of Solomon Islands
- Know More about France ETIAS for Citizens of Seychelles
- How Travelers Can Get France ETIAS for Citizens of Serbia
- What is the France ETIAS for Citizens of Paraguay?
- What is the France ETIAS for Citizens of the Marshall Islands?
- Vaccination Passport France
- Tour de France location and how to visit France safely
- France Visa Policy: All About It
- France (Schengen) Visa for Citizens of RUSSIA
- France (Schengen) Visa for Citizens of CHINA
- Easy Travel and Low France ETIAS Cost for Visa-Free Countries
- Essential Details on France ETIAS Requirements
- How to Acquire France ETIAS for Citizens of Vanuatu in the Easiest Way
- Get a France ETIAS for Citizens of Uruguay Fast and Easy
- Discover France ETIAS for Citizens of United States of America
- Fast and Easy France ETIAS for Citizens of United Arab Emirates
- Learn More About France ETIAS for Citizens of Ukraine
- Effortless Application for France ETIAS for Citizens of Tuvalu
- How to Obtain a France ETIAS for Citizens of Trinidad and Tobago
- Get a France ETIAS for Citizens of Tonga Quickly and Easily
- Trouble-free France ETIAS for Citizens of Timor
- Discover France ETIAS for Citizens of Taiwan
- Quick and Easy France ETIAS for Citizens of South Korea
- Can We Get a France ETIAS for Citizens of Saint Vincent?
- Easy Way to Obtain France ETIAS for Citizens of Saint Lucia
- France ETIAS requirements for Citizens of New Zealand
- France ETIAS process for Citizens of Nauru
- Important Information about the France ETIAS for Citizens of Colombia
- France (Schengen) Visa for Citizens of ANGOLA
- France (Schengen) Visa for Citizens of ALGERIA
- France (Schengen) Visa for Citizens of AFGHANISTAN
- How Can I Apply For France Schengen Visa For The Citizens Of Nigeria?
- How To Get France Schengen Visa For The Citizens of Afghanistan
- Learn More About France Schengen Visa For The Citizens Of The Dominican Republic
- Check Requirements For France Schengen Visa For The Citizens Of Haiti
- How Can I Apply For France Schengen Visa For The Citizens Of Pakistan?
- How To Get France Schengen Visa For The Citizens Of India
- Get To Know About France Schengen Visa Interview Questions
- What is French Schengen Visa Validity?
- All About How Long Does A French Schengen Visa Take
- What are the Requirements for French Schengen Visa?
- Does the France ETIAS have Multiple Entry?
- Find out more about France ETIAS for Citizens of Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Get more information about France ETIAS for Citizens of Peru
- Get more information about France ETIAS for Citizens of Panama
- Find out more about France ETIAS for Citizens of Palau
- How to get a France ETIAS for Citizens of Macedonia
- What is the France ETIAS for Citizens of Nicaragua?
- What is the France ETIAS for Citizens of Montenegro?
- France ETIAS requirements for Citizens of Moldova
- How to get the France ETIAS for Citizens of Micronesia
- France ETIAS process for Citizens of Mexico
- France ETIAS requirements for Citizens of Mauritius
- France ETIAS process for Citizens of Malaysia
- What is the France ETIAS for Citizens of Macao?
- France ETIAS requirements for Citizens of Kiribati
- How to get a France ETIAS for Citizens of Japan?
- France ETIAS requirements for Citizens of Israel
- Can I apply for the France ETIAS for Citizens of Chile?
- Can I get a France ETIAS for Citizens of Canada?
- Where can I apply for the France ETIAS for Citizens of Brunei?
- How to get the France ETIAS for Citizens of Brazil
- How can I apply for the France ETIAS for Citizens of Bosnia and Herzegovina?
- What is the France ETIAS for Citizens of Barbados?
- Learn more about the France ETIAS for Citizens of Bahamas
- Learn more about the France ETIAS for Citizens of Australia
- How Can I get the France ETIAS for Citizens of Argentina?
- What is the France ETIAS for the Citizens of Albania?
- How to get the France ETIAS for Citizens of Antigua and Barbuda