iVisa | 5 min read | Updated on Oct 04, 2023

If you are interested in going to Hong Kong anytime soon, you may be wondering how to get a visa. To begin with, the first thing you need to check is whether or not you need a visa. Since there are about 170 countries are visa-exempt, this means that their citizens do not require a visa to enter the region.

But for the rest, you can use Google or use iVisa’s Visa Checker to find out. Select your country of origin from the drag-down menu and Hong Kong as your destination. The information will be revealed in an instant. As to how you can get a Hong Kong visit visa, then you just have two ways available: applying for one at a Chinese embassy or through HKSAR Immigration Department.

We will explain you with more details what you should to get this visa.

Fill me in

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

How can I get a Hong Kong visit visa at the embassy?

Even if Hong Kong is an independent region, you still need to go to the Chinese embassy to apply for a Hong Kong visit visa. However, we recommend that you give the embassy a call to inquire about what documents you need. What we can tell you is that you need a passport that is valid for another 6 months from the date of arrival in Hong Kong and a couple of photos. However, the information we and the rest of the internet can provide should always be for reference only.

Once you arrive at the embassy, you will be required to fill in an application form. The form is not difficult to complete, but you should pay attention so that all the information you provide is accurate and there are no typos. Once you are done with it, submit your application, and then wait for the request to be processed. The processing can take up to 4 weeks, so be careful how you plan your trip.

What is a Hong Kong Pre-Arrival Registration?

To certain citizens from some countries, there's a huge chance to get a Pre-Arrival Registration which is nothing more but an important document that allows you to stay in Hong Kong for an specific amount of time without needing an actual visa. This document is available in iVisa.

What are the requirements to get a Pre-Arrival Registration?

If you can apply to a Hong Kong PAR, then all you need is the following:

  • A Passport with at least 6 months of validation. You have to scan the information page.
  • A Credit/debit card or Paypal account for payments.

Are there any special requirements for Indian citizens?

One particular case is represented by Indian citizens who want to go to Hong Kong. India is a visa-exempt country, and Indians do not need to apply for a Hong Kong visit visa as long as they do not plan to stay in the region for more than 14 days. However, all Indian travelers need to apply for a pre-arrival registration before departure. If you are an Indian citizen and plan to stay in Hong Kong for more than 14 days, you need to apply at the embassy. Otherwise, just get your registration notification slip, and you are good to go. The good thing about the registration is that you can get it online, and you will receive it as fast as possible. iVisa can help you with that, so the hassle is not that great.

How can I getting a Hong Kong visit visa through HKSAR Immigration Department?

The alternative to going to a Chinese embassy is to submit your application to HKSAR Immigration Department. The process may seem more convenient if you do not have a Chinese embassy close to where you live.

The advantage of using this option is that you can fax most of the documents, including the application form. However, you still need to send the original application form and the photographs via air mail. Just like we mentioned before, the processing takes about 4 weeks.

What's the price to get A Pre-Arrival Registration?

You can avoid doing the entire process of the Pre-Arrival in a long row in Hong Kong by simply applying online. For that, you'll have to pay a fee to iVisa, and it will vary according to how fast you want your Pre-Arrival Registration document. These are your options:

  • Standard processing – your visa application is finished in only 2 days but always as long as you pay USD $42.49 (with all the services fee included).

  • Rush processing – With this option you can get your e-visa even faster, in 36 hours, but for that you have to pay USD $77.99.

  • Super Rush processing – With this method you can get your visa application ready in 24 hours, being the fastest procedure. It should cost you USD $131.99 (all the services fee are included in the price).

I'm still having some unresolved questions, where can I read more about it?

If you need a better resolution, click here and start immediately to talk with one of our customer service agents. Just remember that you can also keep reading about Hong Kong here.

Getting a Hong Kong visit visa is not difficult if you indeed require one, but make sure that you make the proper inquiries before you apply. Do not let such a small detail ruin your vacation.

Let's stay in touch!

Join our newsletter to receive the best traveling tips

© 2014-2023 All rights reserved. iVisa and iVisa logo are registered trademarks of

English - en |
Intercom Chat