ETIAS Italy: Requirements, How to Apply & More
Are you planning to visit Italy? If you have decided to plan a trip to Italy in the near future, you should know that from early 2023 anyone who is not a citizen of the European Union and wants to visit Italy or any member country of the Schengen area must have the ETIAS.
Normally, many non-EU countries grant their citizens visa-free entry into the Schengen zone. Specifically, 63 third countries that are not members of the EU currently benefit from the visa waiver for entry into the Schengen zone.
Non-EU nationals of these countries are allowed to enter the Schengen zone for a limited period of 90 days for visiting or business purposes. However, during these 90 days, these eligible travelers are not permitted to work or study, although some trade and tourism activities may be conducted.
In addition, emerging security concerns regarding increased terrorism and migration flows have necessitated more efficient management of entry into the European Union. Over the years, however, the EU has consistently worked to improve security when crossing EU borders.
To reduce delays and processing times and to address border security challenges, the European Commission has developed a tool called ETIAS (EC).
Read below all about how you can obtain your ETIAS Italy in just a few easy steps with iVisa.com.
What is ETIAS and when will it come into force?
ETIAS is the acronym for the European Travel Information and Authorization System. It is a digital-only travel authorization approach designed to facilitate and monitor the entry of travelers from visa-free countries into the Schengen area. As such, it is similar to the commonly known Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) in the United States, which has a similar goal.
Legal formalities for the introduction of ETIAS authorization began in early 2016, and it is expected to be fully implemented by May 2023.
Under the ETIAS authorization process, each applicant undergoes a comprehensive screening process to determine whether he or she is eligible to enter one of the Schengen member countries. As long as nationals from visa-exempt countries who do not require a visa to enter Italy or other ETIAS countries for up to 90 days do not have to go through lengthy visa application formalities, an ETIAS approach would ensure that they are unlikely to pose a significant security threat. The ETIAS is designed to ensure that essential data on visitors are collected, stored, and monitored to identify security concerns regarding entry into ETIAS countries.
In addition to commercial and tourism purposes, the ETIAS is also intended to allow authorized travelers to enter the Schengen area for transit or medical treatment.
Information about Schengen and how ETIAS applies to it
The ETIAS Italy electronic travel authorization system allows eligible citizens from visa-free countries to enter and exit all Schengen member countries. Applicants who do not benefit from the Italian ETIAS visa waiver are required by law to submit their Schengen visa application to a local consulate or embassy.
Unlike an ETIAS application for exemption, a Schengen visa is issued on a country-by-country basis. Citizens who are not visa-exempt and wish to visit multiple Schengen countries must submit a visa application to the embassy or consulate of the country to which they primarily wish to travel. Due to administrative procedures, this may take a longer time to process.
Holding a Schengen visa means that you are not part of the list of visa-free countries. This means that an ETIAS permit is not required in your case. However, you may be required to present your visa when entering the countries of the Schengen area. After your visa expires, you can apply for ETIAS if you meet the criteria.
Who needs ETIAS Italy?
All citizens of the following countries who can enter the Schengen area without a visa must obtain an ETIAS permit before traveling to Italy or any other Schengen country.
How do I apply for an Italian ETIAS?
Applying for an ETIAS for Italy is 100% online. iVisa.com has developed a convenient and easy-to-fill application form that can be completed by most applicants within an average of 15 minutes.
In addition to a valid passport, two other pieces of information are required: a valid email account and a payment method such as a credit/debit card.
Filling out the ETIAS Italy application form
On the ETIAS application form, you will be asked to fill out different sections depending on the country of citizenship you have chosen. The following information must be provided:
- Biometric or passport data such as:
- First name
- Middle name
- Last name
- First EU country you would like to visit
- Education and work experience
- First EU country you intend to visit
- The eligibility and background questions address any medical conditions, travel to countries at war, countries from which you have been deported or denied entry, and criminal record.
- For minors, the parent or guardian must also apply for ETIAS.
- Family members of EU nationals who are eligible citizens of other countries must submit proof of relationship and other relevant documents, such as a residence card.
Submission of the application
After completing the application, payment of the application fee is required to proceed with the final submission. You will then need to complete the following steps:
- Verify the accuracy of the information you have provided.
- Verify that you are eligible for funding
- Verify whether or not you meet the risk factors.
If the information is correct and you meet the eligibility requirements for ETIAS for Italy without posing a risk, the Etias system should be able to accept your application. The entire process will usually only take a few minutes.
However, if you receive a rejection from the ETIAS system, your application will have to be processed manually. You can expect the manual process to take approximately 96 hours (4 days) or a maximum of 2 weeks.
With iVisa.com you will have an expert checking your application form and contacting you if we need any extra information, so you can avoid the likelihood of errors or rejection, saving time and money in the long run.
Documents required to obtain the ETIAS Italy?
To obtain an ETIAS for Italy, you must meet the following visa waiver requirements:
- A valid passport from an authorized issuing country for at least 3 months from the date of arrival in Italy.
- Bank card (credit or debit) for payment of the ETIAS fee.
- A current email address to which the approved ETIAS for Italy will be sent.
- When issued, the approved ETIAS for Italy will be electronically linked to the holder's passport. According to the ETIAS requirements for entry into Italy, the holder must have a passport for entry into the Schengen area that matches the passport used to apply for the ETIAS.
- If the traveler's passport expires during the validity period of the ETIAS, a new ETIAS application must be submitted.
- Depending on the first Schengen state the applicant enters, additional mandatory requirements may be requested to meet in order to obtain an ETIAS for Italy.
How long is the ETIAS for Italy valid?
The validity of the Italian ETIAS for Italy extends beyond the date of issue, which is usually no later than 72 hours after the application is submitted.
Thereafter, the ETIAS visa waiver for Italy is valid for up to 3 years or until the associated passport expires.
The duration of the Italy ETIAS visa waiver approval exceeds the validity period of many other travel authorizations. For example, the U.S. ESTA has a validity period of only two years. One of the biggest advantages of the ETIAS, besides its speedy processing, is the extended validity period.
Pricing and processing options to obtain your ETIAS
As the entry visa has not yet been launched there are still no confirmed prices available, but in the meantime, iVisa.com has decided to offer 3 options of payment and processing for you to choose from. Depending on how fast you need the document or your budget available, we have an option to suit most needs.
- Standard Processing Time: This option is for travelers who do not have their trip coming soon and can wait for their travel documents to be processed.
- Rush Processing Time: You will get your ETIAS faster than standard, but you will have to spend more in the process.
- Super Rush Processing Time: This process is perfect for those who need the document urgently and need to travel as soon as possible. Of course, this one costs a little more than both previous options.
FAQs about the ETIAS for Italy
Can I study or work in Italy with an ETIAS?
With an Italian ETIAS, you can participate in a short course or training program, provided that the maximum duration of your stay in the Italian or Schengen area does not exceed 90 days. Therefore, while you are in Italy with an ETIAS, you are not allowed to enroll in an Italian college, do an internship, or work as a student or professional.
Can children and infants apply for the ETIAS Italy?
All persons, including infants and children, must present a travel authorization upon landing in the Schengen area to be allowed to enter. However, applicants under the age of 18 are not required to pay the Italy ETIAS application fee.
Do I need to apply for an Italy ETIAS if I hold a long-term Schengen visa?
As a valid long-term visa from an EU Member State entitles you to enter the Schengen area, it is thus not necessary to apply for an ETIAS travel authorization as long as you have a Schengen visa.
Can I apply for the ETIAS if I have a criminal record?
Yes, you may apply for an ETIAS at any time and explain the circumstances of your conviction. If you are denied the opportunity to obtain an ETIAS, you may appeal to the Member State that made the decision to deny your application for an ETIAS.
Does iVisa.com guarantee a secure application process?
Trustworthiness and reliability are among the strongest arguments that make iVisa.com the right choice. Most of our daily efforts are aimed at protecting our company's most valuable resource: our customers. All our transactions are secured by a robust system that guarantees privacy and data protection. We have received hundreds of positive reviews from our satisfied users who approve of our work.
Where can I get more information about ETIAS Italy?
There is always a friendly and helpful customer service representative available at iVisa.com to help you with any questions you may have about ETIAS Italy.
- Italy Vaccine Requirements: Must I get them?
- Italy (Schengen) Visa for Citizens of Afghanistan | iVisa
- The best beaches in Italy for 2023!
- Italy (Schengen) Visa for Citizens of China | iVisa
- Italy (Schengen) Visa for Citizens of India | iVisa
- Italy Schengen Visa Processing Time | iVisa
- The 12 best restaurants in Venice
- Best places to visit in Italy
- Best time to visit Italy in 2023!
- How to enter Italy during COVID-19 Quarantine for Canadians
- See All