To renew your United Kingdom passport or to apply for a visa, you must produce photos consistent with their very specific requirements.
If you are planning on traveling abroad, make sure you visit iVisa.com, so you know whether or not you need to obtain a visa. Rather than wasting a lot of time and money standing in line, iVisa.com can process most applications online quickly and affordably.
What size must a UK sized passport photo be?
A photo sized for a UK passport must be 45 x 35 mm. The head size from the chin to the top must be between 29 mm and 34 mm. Your UK passport photo may be ordered online.
Summary of Photo Specs
- Size: 45mm x 35mm
- Color: Only color is accepted.
- Head size and position: Head must be between 29mm and 34mm. Squared with upper shoulders in view.
- Recency: Taken in the last 30 days.
Background: Cream or light grey colored. No designs.
- Smile: Neutral expression.
- Eyes: Visible and open.
- Glasses: Prescription only with eyes clearly visible.
- Headgear: Only headgear for religious or medical reasons are permitted.
- Dimensions and size (pixels): None specified.
- Attire, clothing, dress code: None specified.
- Beard: Either with or without is acceptable.
- Quantity needed in application: 2.
United Kingdom Passport Photo Size Requirements Guide
Get your UK Passport Photo with us now!
United Kingdom Passport Photo and Visa Photo Requirements, Rules, Guidelines, and specifications
- Size is extremely important. The 45x35mm cannot be from a larger picture.
- No black and white photos are accepted. True colors only with no enhancements.
- Background cannot have any designs or be anything other than cream or light grey. If in a wheelchair, it must be covered with a sheet so it’s not visible in the photo.
- Smiling is not allowed. A neutral expression only. Mouth needs to be closed as well.
- Prescription glasses are allowed as long as eyes are clearly visible without glare or blockage from frames. No tinted lenses are allowed.
- If you wear any headgear for medical or religious purposes, it may not cover the facial features.
- Having your hair down is permitted so long as it doesn’t cover the face in any way.
- Beards are allowed if that’s how you normally look. Avoid growing one for the photo if you are normally clean shaven.
- There are no specifications for clothing attire. Use your own judgement.
- Each application needs to have 2 photos per person. This includes children.
Process your passport/visa photo online in less time!
Rules and requirements for babies, infants, and newborns Passport and Visa photos
Traveling internationally with children or infants means each child must have their own passport of visa. In addition, each minor is required to have an individual picture . Infants are the most difficult to photograph but there are a few leniencies for submitting these photos. The basic photo guidelines such as good lighting, background and size still apply. To make it easier for you, here are a few rules and tips on how to take an acceptable photo for their application:
- Each child needs their own photo. This is crucial for a speedy application.
- No toys, bottles or pacifiers can be visible in the photo.
- For infants under 12 months of age, a neutral expression is not mandatory. Eyes can be either open or closed.
- Infants can be held so long as the parent is not visible. This includes hands.
- If holding the infant is not a good option, try a car seat or laying them on their back with a plain colored sheet (cream or grey).
- Children 6 and under are not mandated to have a neutral expression. However, their face must still be clearly visible and squared to the camera. Eyes need to be forward and not looking away.
Learn more about United Kingdom and apply for a Visa with us!