Rwanda, like any other country in the world, has a set of rules you need to follow if you wish to cross its border. Rest assured that the process of planning a trip to Rwanda is not as demanding as you would think. It is true that you may need to apply for a Rwanda visa before departure, but the good news is that all non-visa exempt nationalities can acquire the travel document online. As for other requirements, read the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions you can find below.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
Do I need a certificate of vaccination against Yellow Fever before going to Rwanda?
No. Rwanda has no such requirement. However, one of the Rwanda entry requirements states that if you also travel to Kenya and Uganda, you need the inoculation for yellow fever. Of course, you also need an East Africa Visa to visit all three countries. That is if you do not want to apply for three different visas.
What other Rwanda entry requirements are there?
As you will see for yourself, the Rwanda visa does not imply too much of an effort. The requirements are few and easy to acquire. Chances are that you already have some of the necessary things. Here is what you will need:
- Passport – before you start the online application process, take a look at the document’s expiry date. The passport has to be valid for at least another 6 months after arrival and have at least one blank page for the stamp
- Photo – the picture has to be taken as recently as possible and meet the guidelines of a valid passport photo. For example, it needs to be on a white background, you cannot wear glasses, etc.
- E-mail address – iVisa sends you the visa via e-mail in PDF format. Do not forget to print it out before departure. We recommend that you print more than one copy. It is always good to have a spare.
- Means of payment – as far as payment goes, iVisa is pretty flexible. You can use a credit or a debit card, but we also accept PayPal, Alipay, and WeChat. You can use whichever is most convenient.
Is the application form online as well?
When dealing with an online application process, everything happens online, even the application form. However, iVisa created a short and straightforward process. You should not spend more than 20 minutes completing the form. However, if you ever feel like you need some help or have some questions, iVisa provides customer support 24/7. The service can be reached via online chat or phone, and it is entirely free of charge. The bottom line is that among Rwanda's entry requirements, there is a Yellow Fever international certificate of vaccination. However, that applies only if you plan to travel to Rwanda, Kenya, and Uganda, all on one trip. That, of course, implies an East Africa Visa too, so do not forget to make the proper arrangements.
Do I need a COVID vaccine or vaccination certificate to enter Rwanda?
No, you don't. As of today, COVID-19 vaccination passports or certificates are not mandatory to enter Rwanda. Since information may change quickly, we advise you to follow up on the latest Rwanda travel updates and/or contact your local embassy.
Do I have to quarantine once I arrive in Rwanda?
- Quarantine requirements: 24 hours in transit hotel until results of arrival test are received.
- Quarantine exemptions: Fully vaccinated travelers and children under 18 do not have to quarantine until arrival results are received.
- Quarantine requirements- travelers who have spent time in Botswana, Eswatini, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Zambia or Zimbabwe in the 7 days prior to arrival: 7 days in facility and PCR on day 7.