Tanzania Travel Guide: All you need to know to visit Tanzania in 2023
Welcome to Tanzania
Tanzania is the largest country in East Africa. With its fabulous natural wealth, you can find everything from wild animals in national parks to the most beautiful beaches in Africa.
In this ultimate Tanzania travel guide, you will find everything you should consider during your trip.
Document Checklist for Tanzania
- Health Declaration.
- Valid passport.
- Sufficient funds.
- Return airline ticket.
Essential Tanzania Travel Information
We provide the following information for your trip to Tanzania.
- Currency — Tanzanian shilling (TZS). $1 is equivalent to approx. 2,333.00 TZS.
- Daily budget for 1 person — A low-cost budget can be around TZS 75,487 ($32), whereas a mid-range one may be close to TZS 199,298 ($85).
- Languages — The national language is Swahili, but over 100 languages are spoken throughout the country
- Socket type — Tanzania uses plug types D and G and operates on a 230V supply voltage and 50Hz.
- Time zone — UTC+3 (East Africa Time).
- Top 3 cities to visit — Dar es Salaam, Stone Town, and Arusha.
- Top 3 landmarks/monuments — Mount Kilimanjaro, Serengeti National Park, and Ngorongoro Crater.
Visa Information for Tanzania
Tanzania issues different visas: Tourist eVisa, Volunteer eVisa, and Transit Visa. You need to apply to one of these depending on your nationality and your needs. This is why we recommend using our checker visa tool to ensure you know what kind of visa you require for your trip to Tanzania.
Tourist eVisa explained
A Tourist eVisa for Tanzania is made for visits, tourism, leisure, and attending conferences.
This electronic visa is available as a Single Entry visa for a stay of up to 90 days Per Entry, and is valid for 90 days after arrival after arrival. This depends on your country of citizenship.
For US citizens, the Tanzania online visa is valid as a Multiple Entry visa, and it allows stays of up to 90 days Per Entry within every 1 year after arrival, and is valid for one year after arrival.
Volunteer eVisa explained
The Tanzania Volunteer e-Visa is a permission granted to travelers to enter and remain in Tanzania to work as a volunteer for an organization in the country for no longer than 90 days Per Entry .
Transit Visa explained
A Tanzanian transit visa is a valid visa that allows you to stop in the country when going to another destination.
Typical Costs and Budget for Tanzania
This is an essential guide for you to have an estimate of the money for your vacation.
- Daily spending per person — A TZS 199,298 ($85) daily budget.
- Meals — TZS 49,183 ($21) on meals for one day.
- Transport — TZS 30,666 ($13) on local transportation.
- Hotel — The average hotel room price in Tanzania for a couple is TZS 201,371 ($86).
A week-long vacation to Tanzania usually costs around TZS 1,395,089 for one person. Consequently, a trip to Tanzania for two people costs around TZS 2,790,178 for one week.
Transport and Ways to Travel around Tanzania
There are many ways to travel inside Tanzania. Bus routes, 4x4 rentals, taxis, and even air travel. Here are the options for you to choose the one best for you.
If you're going on a Safari, many companies have partnerships with private charter companies to transport travelers, avoiding overland trips that could last long hours. This could be more expensive; however, it will offer you more comfort.
You can also rent a 4×4 independently. It is best to have a local driver, so it can be a private safari guide the one who drives for you and your friends. This is a pleasant way to explore Tanzania's routes, in addition to the comfort of the experience.
These car rental agencies are located in major cities like Dar es Salaam and Arusha, and the price can go from$50 per day for an essential car.
Public transportation, like buses, is the most economical way to travel; it connects many destinations and bus stations, and includes even international buses that can take you to Kenya, Rwanda, and Uganda. So the local advice is to take the bus line, given it is an excellent option if you want to take care of your pocket.
Kilimanjaro Express, Shabiby Line, Dar Express, and Ratco Express are the most reliable and comfortable transportation companies.
On the other hand, private transport is much more used for airport transfers. These are white taxis, so it will be easy to identify them when you take one. You must always negotiate or ask the price before accepting the service to know the cost in advance.
Safety in Tanzania
Tanzania is a tourist country that is continuously progressing in safety. However, taking care of yourself and being alert (personal security) is necessary to make your trip a complete success.
It would be best if you also kept in mind that there from minor to serious crimes, as well as terrorist groups. So, take care of your belongings and your pockets so that you are not a victim of pickpockets. It is advisable to always be in company when you go for a walk.
We give you some travel advice for Tanzania to respect the local law:
- Respect the local rules. Remember that most of the population is Muslim, and their beliefs are connected with the local laws.
- If you need help, ask the local authorities. The local police will be glad to help you.
- Get a good travel insurance; if you fall sick, you will have good medical attention available, including quality care in medical facilities.
- While you travel through Tanzania, take care of your tourist visa so you don’t lose it.
- Have contact with the embassy of your country for emergency consular assistance.
- Don’t use any type of illegal drugs. This can bring severe consequences with the local police.
Weather in Tanzania
You will find the perfect climate to visit Tanzania from June to October given these are not rainy seasons. You can go on safaris or enjoy the beaches with excellent weather. In addition, during this period, you can observe the wildebeest migration in Serengeti, a spectacle you must see on your trip. Taking this into account, it’s better to visit Tanzania while not in the rainy season.
Popular Cities and Towns in Tanzania
Tanzania is a country of great cultural and ancestral wealth, a whole experience to live. Here we will show you the most popular major citiesr to visit as a travel advice.
- Dar es Salaam — It is the largest city in Tanzania, so it will offer you an urban experience with squares, markets, and joyful places. Besides that, the cultural area is not to be missed. You can visit the national museum, the botanical gardens, and other sites this city offers.
- Stone Town — This city is at the top of the most visited places in Tanzania. You will discover the Swahili culture, small streets with historic houses, and many colors. It is also known as the stone city.
- Arusha — It has vegetation to fall in love with. Its national park is home to giraffes, hyenas, leopards, monkeys, buffaloes, and other wild animals. You can also explore the country's most beautiful lakes, like Lake Manyara. You can interact with locals, learn about the culture and be completely happy in this magical place.
- Dodoma — It is the capital of Tanzania, here you will have an urban experience. You can visit Nyerere Square or the Gaddafi Mosque.
- Moshi — This city is located at the base of Mount Kilimanjaro. Moshi is a coffee-producing city, so it is the main engine of the town; you must taste the coffee and take advantage of the opportunity to climb the highest mountain in Africa and enjoy a more lively adventure.
What do you think? Do you like one of these major cities?
Must do and See in Tanzania
Tanzania, a pearl of Africa, has a lot for you. Here are some things to do and see on your trip:
1. Zanzibar Island, for some relaxing and beautiful beaches. This is perfect for enjoying with family or friends after a wild Safari.
2. Witness the great migration in the Serengeti National Park. Where many Wildebeest and Zebras pass through the park to look for better food.
3. You must go to Crater Ngorongoro. A crater with more than 20,000 animals, such as lions, hyenas, and black rhinos from East Africa.
4. Make an excursion to Mount Kilimanjaro. You will have an exceptional view of the plains, where you can take magnificent photographs of mother nature, a whole trip to remember.
5. Explore the Great Mosque of Kilwa. This mosque will show you the religious importance of the country. It is one of the first mosques built on the coast of East Africa.
Typical Tanzania Food to Try
Chipsi mayai, it's street food. It consists of fries mixed with eggs, it’s something like an omelette, with the fries all over the plate.
Ndizi na nyama is a traditional dish based on bananas and meat. It also contains curry powder, cayenne pepper, oil, onion, tomato, and coconut milk.
Zanzibar pizza is a version of pizza that is different, as it has a yeast-free dough full of various ingredients, such as beef or chicken, seafood, vegetables, cheese, mayonnaise, or eggs.
Does it sound delicious? Indeed!
Vaccine Information for Tanzania
The policies on the Covid-19 vaccine are different in each country; this depends on the local authorities; for this reason, we recommend you visit the CDC website. You will find everything you need regarding this topic, like other types of vaccines and requirements, such as information on the yellow fever vaccination certificate, and the medical help necessary for your trip to Tanzania.
Tanzania Is a Diverse Ethnic Nation
Tanzania has more than 120 ethnic groups. The Maasai are the best-known tribes of Tanzania and inhabit the country's northern regions. There is also the Swahili people on the country's coast and a cultural mixture of Arabs, Indians, and Bantu peoples.
Fun Facts about Tanzania
Funny things you might not know about Tanzania.
Tanzania has over 100 languages, more than any other country in East Africa. Swahili is the language most people speak as a second language.
The most famous mountain in Africa is located in Tanzania: Mount Kilimanjaro, 19,341 feet (around 6 km) above sea level, is the highest point in Africa.
Almost 40% of the country is protected for nature conservation. The government has fought to protect these areas, including national parks such as Serengeti and Ngorongoro. There’s still work to be done, but it’s a significant advance in care and protection.
Serengeti has the most fantastic migration in the world. It is a beautiful spectacle of wildebeest, zebras, and gazelles. An event that occurs every year and that represents wildlife in all its glory. It results in the largest migration of large mammals on Earth.
In Tanzania, you will find the Maasai, a population rich in ancestral culture. They are famous for their brightly colored clothes (Shuka), dyed red hair, and great kindness.
Related ArticlesRead more
Tanzania eVisa for Citizens of India
If you are planning to visit Tanzania for tourism or volunteering in the near future, or you just need a quick stopover in Tanzania, you'll be happy t...Oct 17, 2022
Tanzania eVisa for Citizens of Iran
Do you want to get to Tanzania but don't know what documents you need? We tell you that there are three visa types for travelers wishing to enter the...Oct 17, 2022
Tanzania eVisa for Citizens of the Philippines
The Philippines has paradisiacal places, but sometimes we want to go further to explore nature. Tanzania can be a life-changing experience. The countr...Oct 7, 2022
Tanzania eVisa for Citizens of the UAE: process and requirements
The United Arab Emirates is a symbol of technology and development. There are many attractions and beautiful places to explore in the country, but tra...Oct 14, 2022
How it Works?
Complete our easy online application and pay with credit card or PayPal
No need to deal with the embassy. We do it for you so you don't lose valuable time
Present your Passport and the Document we provide upon entry to destination country
Complete our easy online application pay with credit card or PayPal
No need to deal with the embassy or lose valuable time at destination airport.
Present your Passport and Document we provide at destination airport. Receive visa and enter country.
Our application form is 100% digital and easy to fill-in, complete it and pay it with credit card or PayPal.
No need to deal with the embassy. We do it for you so you don't lose valuable time.
Present your Passport and the Health Declaration we provide when you arrive at the airport.
Fill out the online simplified application with the guidance of our Guide Manual.
Get unlimited support during the entire process from our team of iVisa Experts that will help you apply correctly.
Send all the required documents to the Embassy or Consulate, and attend the Visa Interview if needed.
Receive your new visa and get ready to travel!
Our Customers Have Great Stories About Us
Wonderful company to work with - they were very responsive on chat as we made some mistakes on our end. They assured us everything would work out and worked with us until we received our E-Visa. We got it just two days before traveling. I would highly recommend iVisa.com. If you are in a rush, I would recommend paying the extra to ensure it is ready in time because the government needed more documents and that allowed us extra time to submit.
Highly impressive. Thanks to iVisa.com team for their great support. I just applied yesterday for my son's Indian E-Visa in a standard service (96 hours). But in a duration of 35 hours (within 2 days), today I get his visa. Before applying it, we were very confused for the E-visa websites. But thanks to this team for their great quick effort. Highly Recommended to all.
I was surprised to get my Visa within 2 hours and amazed at the fact that how hassle free the entire process is. Thank you guys, keep it up. I will make sure to spread the words among my friends.
I applied to get visa to India. This is the first time I used this service. Highly recommend them for anyone need to get E-Visa. Easy to apply through their Web form, can add multiple people in a single request. Fast and efficient service. Received visa within few days. Only downside I found is the order of the application process. It request your visa fee payment, in the 2nd step, before completing the application form with all the information. In general, any web based purchases the payment is requested in the last step. This may raise a concern for a first time user.