Can I change my Surname on My Passport?

iVisa | Updated on Jun 26, 2022

If you’re asking yourself: Can I change my Surname on My passport? Then you’ll be happy to know that it is possible! Thanks to you can now change your surname on your passport in the easiest way possible.

Fill me in

If you’re asking for a name change more than one year after your passport has been issued, then you only have to follow a few steps. First, you need to have an official document that states your name change. It can easily be a marriage certificate, a court order, etc. The rest of the process is based on an online application form and a passport kit.

Get the answer to this question: Can I Change My Surname on My Passport? by reading the questions below.

Can I change my Surname on my passport?

Yes, you can, especially if you’re asking for this change more than one year after your passport has been issued. All you have to do is to use Passport Renewal service.

Don’t forget to include an official document proving your name change, for example, a marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order.

These are the steps you have to follow to complete the process:

  • First: Fill in the online form, upload and attach your photo and pay for the fees required.
  • Second: Obtain the kit with all the things required to renew your passport and drop it off at the nearest mailbox or post office, include your name change document,.
  • Third: To track every step of the way, stay alert to your email. You’ll receive your passport in 4-6 weeks or 10 weeks, depending on the service speed you select. See the FAQs for more details.

To ensure a smooth traveling experience, we only provide our services when your next trip is at least 6 weeks after you start your passport renewal. The usual procedure can take up to 10 weeks from start to finish.

Fill me in

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the requirements for the passport name change?

The US Government created two scenarios with different lists of items. These are:

Scenario 1: If your passport was issued over a year ago, you need the following items:

  • A DS-82 form.
  • Your current passport
  • Passport photo
  • Name change document.
  • Depending on your age, you will have to include an adult or child fee.

Scenario 2: If your passport was issued less than one year ago, you have to get the following:

  • A DS-5504 form.
  • Passport photo
  • Current passport
  • A document that states your name change.

For any other specific cases, the US Government could ask you to have more documents. Don’t stress about it! Whatever your situation is, we’ll ensure you obtain the right items so that your passport renewal name change goes easily. At, we’re ready to help you with the passport name change format through our Passport Renewal service.

Who can ask for a Passport Renewal Service with

This online service is available for US citizens currently living in the United States with a valid US passport. Also, you have to meet the following requirements:

  • The current passport is in your possession.
  • The passport must be in a good state.
  • You are older than 16 years old.
  • The issue date in your passport is within the last 15 years.
  • Your current name appears on the passport.
  • You got your current passport after or at 16 years old.

To get a name change on your passport, you will also need a document that shows your name change. This can be a marriage certificate, a divorce decree, or a court order. If you decide to renew your passport with us, you can be sure that we’ll process your passport in the most smooth way possible.

Do I have to send my current passport to

No. You will send it directly on to the government in the envelope we provide. Besides, you’ll receive via mail a passport kit with all the items required to renew your passport:

  • A DS-82 Form ready to be signed
  • A printed and stapled passport photo.
  • A bank check with the US government fee.
  • A USPS envelope ready to be shipped.

You also have to sign the form and go to the post office with your complete kit, name change evidence and current passport.

If you’re still asking yourself “Can I change my Surname on My Passport?”, check our website.

How long does it take to obtain my new passport?

The US Government has two services to change your surname on your passport and renew it. You can go for the standard process and wait for 10 weeks, or you can select the expedited process, and wait from 4 to 6 weeks. Nevertheless, you will have to pay an extra fee of USD 60 for the last one.

How much does it cost to renew my passport?

You have to pay an official fee of USD 130. Additionally to this fee, you have to pay’s fee, and it varies depending on how fast you want your kit:

  • Select Kit Shipping Time: Same Day Free Shipping (cut-off 2pm EST) for $72
  • Select Kit Shipping Time: 2 Day Free Shipping for $60
  • Select Kit Shipping Time: 4 Day Free Shipping for $40

Take into account that you’ll have to wait at least 10 weeks to get your new passport. However, if you pay USD 60 for the expedited service, you’ll only have to wait from 4 to 6 weeks. Recommends

Obtaining a renewed passport is now easier than ever, and this allows you to prepare more quickly and easily for your next adventure. Prepare your bags to visit places as magical as the Taj Mahal in India, or the Great Wall of China.

With a renewed passport you can also visit singular beauties such as the Himalayas in Asia, or the Andes Mountains in South America. Not to mention the cultures that await you in isolated and exotic places. For example, you can walk the streets of Havana in Cuba, or relax in Bogotá, Colombia. And if you’re more of a foodie than a beach babed, rest assured that Latin America is a special place for you, especially with dishes such as Chicharron in Colombia, or tacos in Mexico.

You’re one click closer to exploring the world if you decide to renew your passport with Passport Renewal Service. It doesn’t take you much time and it doesn’t require much effort on your side either.

As you can see, answering the question “Can I change my Surname on My passport?”, sure you can, and it’s easy thanks to

Was this page helpful?