You can now change your name on your passport without much effort. If you’re asking for a name change more than one year after your passport has been issued, there are some steps you have to follow. The most important thing you need is an official document showing your name change, such as a marriage certificate or a court order. After that, the rest is easy! At iVisa.com we created an online platform that simplifies your passport renewal. In the information below, we’ll explain all the things you need to know to get your passport updated with your name change, including the correct passport name change format.
This service is available only for US citizens with valid US passports living in the United States. Learn more about it with the following questions.
How is the process to get my passport name change?
If your passport was issued more than one year before, then you can use this service by following these steps:
- First: Complete the application form, and upload the documents required . Then, proceed with the payment.
- Second: Receive your passport kit. This kit will have all the necessary things to renew your passport easily. After that, leave the passport kit in your nearest post office, including the name change document and passport.
- Third: Lastly, track every step of the process by email inbox and obtain your passport in 4-6 weeks or 10 weeks, depending on the processing speed you choose.
It’s recommended to use these services only if your next trip is 6 weeks later than when you start the passport renewal. Take into account that this process can take 10 weeks from start to finish.
Get more details about the Passport Name Change Documents Required below.
Frequently Asked Questions
What should I know about Passport Name Change and Documents Required?
The US Government launched a series of measures for a passport name change. This procedure changes depending on which of the following two situations applies to you:
Case 1: In case over a year has elapsed since the passport was issued, the requirements are:
- A DS-82 form.
- Your passport
- A professional passport-size picture
- A valid name change document.
- Depending on your age, you might also need an adult or child fee.
Case 2: If your passport has been issued in less than one year, you have to get these items:
- A DS-5504 form.
- A Passport photo
- Your current passport
- Document that states your name change.
The US Government could ask you to have more documents, but don’t worry! We’ll always let you know about that information so that you can get the right documents. iVisa.com’s team is ready to help you with our Passport Renewal service.
Who can apply for the Passport Renewal with iVisa.com?
To this day, this service is available for US citizens living in the United States with a valid US passport. Aside from that, the applicant should also meet these criteria:
- The current passport must be in the applicant’s possession.
- The passport must be in a good state.
- The applicant is older than 16 years old.
- The issue date in the passport is within the last 15 years.
- The applicant’s current name appears on the current passport.
- The applicant got the passport after or at 16 years old.
To get a name change on your passport, it’s also necessary to have a document that shows the name change. For example, a marriage certificate, a divorce decree, or a court order.
Do I have to send my current passport to iVisa.com?
It’s not necessary. Besides, we’ll make sure you do the process right by offering a kit with the following:
- A DS-82 Form ready to be signed
- A printed and stapled passport photo.
- A bank check with the US government fee.
- A USPS envelope ready to be shipped.
After that, you just have to sign in the form and go to the post office to leave the kit in with your passport and name change document.
How long does it take to obtain my new passport?
There are two services for passport renewal. You can opt for the standard process that takes 10 weeks, or the expedited process, which takes 4 to 6 weeks. Nevertheless, you will have to pay an extra cost of USD 60 for the last one.
How much does it cost to renew my passport?
The US Government fee is USD 110. Additionally, iVisa.com charges an extra fee depending on how soon you want to receive your document:
- Select Kit Shipping Time: Same Day Free Shipping (cut-off 2pm EST) for $72
- Select Kit Shipping Time: 2 Day Free Shipping for $60
- Select Kit Shipping Time: 4 Day Free Shipping for $40
Bear in mind that it can take up to 10 weeks to receive your new passport unless you accept to pay USD 60 for the expedited service. The expedited service can take up to 4 to 6 weeks.
See more information about passport name change documents required on our website.
All you need to start enjoying the world is the passport name change documents required to help you set off! There are many places to visit, especially with an American passport. You can relax with white sands and pristine waters in Barbados, or you can hike high mountains in places like Chile or Argentina. If you prefer old ruins, there’s Mexico with the Mayan city of Tulum, or Egypt with its Great Pyramid of Giza.
If you prefer to enjoy romantic cities, then there’s Santorini in Greece, Venice in Italy or the famous Paris, in France. Feel free to plan a European tour and enjoy all the beauties this continent has, including Stonehenge, the Roman Coliseum, and the Eiffel Tower.
Do you want to travel to Asia? With your American passport, you can explore Japan and get lost in Tokyo, or if you prefer, you can plan a tour of the Great Wall of China.
As you can see, you have plenty of things to do! That’s why we remind you to get your passport renewed with us!
Feel free to learn more about the Passport Name Change Documents Required on our website.