Passport renewal in India can be achieved using one of two ways. You either apply by mail if you happen to be eligible, or you can go to the nearest US Consulate and submit an application in person. If you are in India and you must renew your US passport, one of your best options is to apply through iVisa.
Forget about traveling to the nearest consulate and make an appointment to renew your passport, with [iVisa] you can complete the process completely online, from the comfort of wherever you are. Now start the process.
Passport renewal in India – apply by mail
Unfortunately, not everyone can apply for a passport renewal by mail. Below, you will find the eligibility criteria for this submission method. Keep in mind that all requirements must be met. If you’re missing even one, you must apply in person:
- You still have the passport you want to renew, and you can submit it with your application. If your passport has been lost/stolen and subsequently found/returned, you must apply in person.
- The passport is not damaged. By damaged, we understand mutilated, missing pages, discoloration, and so on.
- You were at least 16 years old when your current passport was issued.
- The passport is not older than 15 years.
- The passport is in your current name. If, however, you changed your name and have a document to attests to that, you can proceed to apply by mail
What are the requirements?
If all the criteria above are met, you can proceed to get ready for a passport renewal by mail. Here is what you have to submit to receive a new passport:
- Your current passport – again, make sure that it meets the eligibility requirements.
- A DS-82 form – first, you have to fill it in online, and then you have to print it out. Do not forget to sign and date it.
- The passport renewal fee – the cost of an adult passport is $110. When you apply by mail, you must use a demand draft from a national bank. Do not send in cash. The demand draft must be payable to the institution that handles your application. That depends on where you live. Check out the Department of State website to see which one handles your request.
- One passport photo – you must submit a US passport-sized photograph, meaning that it must be 2 by 2 inches and taken no more than 6 months ago. The background must be white, and you cannot appear in the photo wearing glasses.
- If applicable, the document that proves your name change – that can be a marriage certificate, a divorce decree, and so on.
Once you have everything you need, enclose everything in an envelope and mail it using a trusted courier in India. Depending on where you live, you must send the envelope to:
- American Embassy in New Delhi
- US Consulate General in Mumbai
- US Consulate General in Chennai
- US Consulate General in Hyderabad
- US Consulate General in Kolkata.
Please check the Department of State website to see the exact addresses.
Passport renewal in India – apply in person
If you do not meet the eligibility criteria for submission by mail, you have to show up in person at one of the consulates we mentioned above. You have to make an appointment first.
When you apply for a new passport in person, you have to fill in a DS-11 form and bring another set of documents with you. For more information, please check the Department of State website.
Obtain your passport renewal in India 100% online - Click here.