Passport Name Change: Apply Online
iVisa | Updated on Sep 18, 2023

two passports usa

Need to update your passport name but are dreading the paperwork and long lines? Change your passport name online with ease and simplicity!

At iVisa, we've streamlined the name change process on your passport into a seamless digital experience. Our state-of-the-art platform and mobile app are designed for globe-trotters like you who value time and convenience.

Our comprehensive guide and relentless customer support make changing your passport name a breeze. Get ready to travel the world under your new name without a hitch!

When should I change the name on my passport?

Your passport is more than just a travel document; it's your identity on the global stage. So when your name changes, your passport should, too.

  1. Immediately after a legal name change: Act quickly to get your passport updated as soon as your name change is legalized. This avoids last-minute scrambling and makes international travel a breeze.

  2. Before booking flights: Airlines have zero wiggle room regarding name mismatches. Make sure the name on your ticket and passport are in perfect harmony.

  3. Before international travel: An outdated or incorrect passport could spell trouble at border controls. Update your name and travel worry-free with a recent passport.

  4. During passport renewal: If your passport is nearing its expiration date, seize the opportunity to update your name during renewal.

  5. Before significant life events: Whether it's a vital business meeting abroad or a destination wedding, ensure that your travel documents are up-to-date well in advance.

Changing your last name due to a new marriage or divorce

Life is a series of chapters, and your identity evolves with each new chapter, like marriage or divorce. Make sure your passport keeps up with you.

Required supporting documents:

  • Original marriage certificate or divorce decree

  • Your current passport

  • New passport photos

Changing the name on an adult's passport

New name, same as you—just with far less hassle regarding paperwork.

Process highlights:

  1. Documentation: Prepare legal documents validating your name change.

  2. Application form: Complete the requisite form based on your country's guidelines.

  3. Submit the form: Use our secure portal for a stress-free submission.

  4. Approval and delivery: Upon approval, receive your updated passport and get set to explore the world anew.

Changing the name on children's passport

Kids grow, and circumstances change. Keep your child's passport current for a smooth family vacation.

What you need:

  • Child's current passport

  • Legal document showing the name change

  • New passport photos for the child

Unfortunately, minors under 16 can't renew their passports with us. In this case, they must apply in person, accompanied by their two parents or legal guardians. Remember, passports for children under 16 are only valid for five years.

Process to get a passport name changed online?

It's pretty easy to apply for a passport name change online. Applicants need to follow these steps:

  • Step 1: Fill out the online passport application form (DS-82 or DS-5504) with details such as name, address, and birthdate. Check there aren't any spelling errors and all the information is correct.

  • Step 2: Attach a recent photo of yourself to the online form. It must be a full-face front view picture, (a high-resolution image is recommended). You can use our Photo Service if you don't have one.

  • Step 3: Complete payment of the US Government and iVisa fees.

  • Step 4: Receive your passport renewal kit, follow the instructions, and submit the proper documentation with the kit to the nearest mailbox or post office. The mailing address will already be written on the kit so you can rest assured it will go to the right place.

  • Step 5: Track your renewal application status with our frequent updates.

  • Step 6: Get your passport and travel!

How long does it take to obtain a new passport?

The US Government standard service is 8 to 10 weeks for passport issuance and delivery. Otherwise, there's an option to request expedited processing, in which you can have the document in 4 to 6 weeks by paying an extra fee of USD 60.

Requirements to change the name on your passport

The list of requirements will vary depending on the following cases:

  • Case 1: You have a U.S. passport issued over a year ago. Then, you'll need:

  • A completed DS-82 form.

  • Your current passport.

  • A professional passport-size picture. You can use the iVisa Photo Service if you don't have one.

  • A valid name-changing document such as a marriage certificate, civil partnership certificate, divorce decree, and birth certificate.

  • The fee may vary depending on age, as children and adults are charged differently.

  • Case 2: You have a U.S. passport issued less than one year ago. You have to submit the following:

  • A completed DS-5504 form.

  • A passport photo.

  • Your current passport.

  • A document that shows your name change.

Consider that the US Government could ask you for more items, but don't stress! We'll always inform you of such requests so that you can obtain the correct documents, and our team is always ready to help you!

Need more information?

If you have any questions about the US passport renewal, please contact our customer support team at any time via online chat or email at [email protected]. They're available 24/7 and will be happy to help you!

Let's stay in touch!

Join our newsletter to receive the best traveling tips

© 2014-2023 All rights reserved. iVisa and iVisa logo are registered trademarks of

English - en |