The provincial government has requested assistance from the DFA and DOT to allow visa upon arrival for foreign visitors
![Bohol seeks visa-free entry program for Chinese tourists]()
Bohol Governor Erico Aristotle Aumentado is pushing for the province to be included in the Philippine government's 14-day visa-free entry arrangement for Chinese tourists and business travelers.
According to the Philippine newspaper Inquirer, the provincial government has formally requested assistance from the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) and the Department of Tourism (DOT) to allow foreign visitors, particularly Chinese tourists, to enter Bohol through a Visa Upon Arrival scheme.
"We requested Department of Tourism Secretary Bernardita Angara-Mathay to allow a Visa Upon Arrival scheme in Bohol to make it easier for tourists to visit us," Aumentado said in a statement.
The governor, who also chairs the Provincial Tourism Council, visited the DOT National Office last week to discuss the proposal and other tourism development initiatives.
Attracting more international visitors
Aumentado said the move seeks to attract more international visitors by making travel to Bohol more convenient.
"This is intended to attract more tourists and encourage them to visit the province because it will make the process of traveling to Bohol faster and easier," he added.
Bohol seeks to benefit from the same 14-day visa-free entry arrangement currently enjoyed by Chinese tourists entering through Cebu and Manila under a program launched earlier this year.
Expanding air connectivity
The provincial government is also lobbying for additional direct international flights to the Bohol-Panglao International Airport (BPIA) as part of efforts to strengthen air connectivity and expand tourism opportunities.
The initiative follows the successful arrival of Bohol's first direct chartered flight from Japan on May 2, 2026, which brought 163 tourists from Narita International Airport via Cebu Pacific. The chartered flight was organized by JTB Asia Pacific Corporation and supported by tourism stakeholders after the governor's investment mission to Japan.
Aumentado said the province is coordinating with Aboitiz InfraCapital, which manages the BPIA, and the DFA to expand chartered flights and improve the system for tourist arrivals from neighboring Asian markets. Bohol successfully handled chartered flights from Chengdu, China, in 2026.
Last Friday, officials of Aboitiz InfraCapital met with the governor at the Provincial Capitol to discuss the formal submission of the provincial government's application to Foreign Secretary Ma. Theresa Lazaro for inclusion in the visa-free entry program.
The governor emphasized the need for support from the DFA and the Bureau of Immigration to facilitate the program's implementation. Under the proposal, foreign tourists would be allowed to visit Bohol for a limited period without a visa, encouraging direct flights to the province and boosting investment, employment, and tourism growth.
Strategic tourism development
The provincial government said the initiative aligns with Bohol's Strategic Governance Roadmap and its thrust toward sustainable tourism development as a UNESCO Global Geoparks site.
Preparations for the proposed program are ongoing with support from the DOT, the Sangguniang Panlalawigan, the League of Municipalities in the Philippines, and tourism stakeholders.
Aumentado expressed optimism that the BPIA, the country's first eco-airport and the 9th busiest gateway, would be designated as an authorized gateway under the visa-free entry arrangement.
"Despite economic challenges, the province of Bohol continues to be one of the preferred destinations for both local and international tourists," the governor said.
From 2022 to 2025, some 146,000 Chinese tourists visited the province, making China Bohol's second-largest source market for tourism.