This content was updated in May 2022.
Currently, non-EU travelers only need a passport to visit Switzerland. However, this is set to change by the end of 2022. After that, all travelers outside the European Union will need an ETIAS visa waiver to enter Switzerland and be able to travel within the Schengen area.
The European Travel Information and Authorization System or ETIAS is a visa waiver program that aims to strengthen entry to the Schengen zone. This authorization system will monitor and record non-EU visitors traveling in Europe.
This page explains everything you need to know about the authorization system, the ETIAS travel document, passport requirements for foreign citizens, the visa, all about the Schengen area, and how you can apply for it.
ETIAS Switzerland - Everything you need to know
We make applying for an ETIAS visa waiver fast and easy. Our friendly and knowledgeable staff are here to help you with the application process to enter Switzerland and other Schengen countries. So let us take care of your ETIAS application!
You can always contact our experts to ask any questions about the travel document. They can also tell you about prices, processes, EU countries included and restrictions related to COVID-19.
The Switzerland ETIAS - What is it?
The European Travel Information and Authorization System or ETIAS travel authorization is an electronic travel authorization that will be required for all travelers who want to visit the Schengen area and who, today, can enter the European Union without a visa.
The ETIAS visa waiver will be part of a fully electronic system that allows border officials to better control travel within the Schengen area. In addition, it will help them identify foreign visitors coming into the European countries.
How long is the ETIAS Switzerland valid for?
The ETIAS will allow foreigners from sixty eligible countries to enter any Schengen country without restrictions. You will be able to stay for a maximum of 90 days, and it will be valid for three years. From 2023 it will be the only way to visit Switzerland, it will be a mandatory requirement to enter any Schengen country.
When is the ETIAS Switzerland available for purchase?
This document will be available from the end of 2022, so be aware that you will not be able to enter Switzerland without it once this document comes into force.
Like most travel documents, this document will be obtained online, and you can apply on your own, or you can save time and effort by doing it with iVisa.com. We offer a personal service and 24/7 customer attention to make sure your ETIAS application process is as easy as possible, that way you will be guaranteed an approved ETIAS.
Does the ETIAS ensure that I will get into Switzerland?
For the most part, yes, the form does ensure that you will be able to enter Switzerland. When you arrive at your destination, the agents will ask you for your documents and the ETIAS visa waiver for Switzerland. However, if you have any symptoms of illness or they feel you may be a health hazard to the country, the officials have the right to deny entry.
Who Needs to Apply for the Switzerland ETIAS to enter the Schengen countries?
The ETIAS visa waiver for Switzerland addresses the group of countries in the visa waiver category, which means that you don't need a visa to enter the Schengen zone for the time being. However, these travelers are not free to stay without a Schengen visa for more than a 90-day stay in all Schengen countries.
There are 62 countries that can enter the Schengen zone without a visa, and from the end of 2022, they will be required to obtain ETIAS authorization before entering any country in this zone.
- These are Albania, Antigua, and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominica, El Salvador, Georgia, Grenada, Guatemala, Honduras, Hong Kong, Israel, Japan, Kiribati, Macau, Macedonia, Malaysia, Marshall Islands, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia, Moldova, Montenegro, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Palau, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent, Samoa, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Solomon Islands, South Korea, Taiwan, Timor Leste, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tuvalu, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Uruguay, Vanuatu, Venezuela.
Once the system is in place, citizens of non-EU countries will need to have an approved ETIAS visa before visiting Switzerland or any of the other Schengen countries.
Do I need the ETIAS if I am transiting through Switzerland and the European Union?
Yes! All travelers entering any of the Schengen countries must present the ETIAS visa. It doesn't matter if you are staying in the country for tourism, business, living, or simply on a stopover to another country. You must present this travel document to the immigration agents in other countries too.
When should I apply for my ETIAS?
All travelers must request this document in advance. iVisa.com processing times depend on your travel needs and budget. Therefore, it is crucial that you consider this information when planning your trip.
A benefit of working with iVisa.com is that we offer a worry-free ETIAS application service. In addition, we make sure that it is processed and done within the necessary timeframe so that you do not have any problems with your travel date.
What do I need to apply online for the Switzerland ETIAS?
You will need to provide the following information to apply for the ETIAS:
- A valid passport- You need a passport valid for at least 6 months from the arrival date. If your passport expires soon, you must replace it.
- Brief medical history - The form will ask you specific questions about your health and of the others traveling with you. This includes medical insurance.
- Education and work experience
- Other - Those with family members who are EU citizens will have to submit proof of relationship, residence card, and other background details.
- A valid email address - We will email your ETIAS document.
- Payment - Credit or debit card pay are the options to pay.
Once you have uploaded all the required documents and filled out the form, you will receive a confirmation email within 30 minutes. If you do not find it in your inbox, check your SPAM folder.
How to obtain the ETIAS Switzerland online
To complete the process online with us, you only need to request your travel document from any electronic device. All you need is 5 minutes and an internet connection. Follow these simple steps:
- Step 1 - Complete the iVisa.com questionnaire with your personal and travel information. You will also be asked for information about your COVID-19 status.
- Step 2 - Choose one of our processing times based on your needs and travel budget. Then, attach all required documents (valid passport and others) and confirm payment.
- Step 3 - Finally, submit the form and wait for the confirmation email.
If you make a mistake when entering your personal information and click "Accept" to finish, you will not be able to request a new form until the current process is completed. Unfortunately, this means you will have to wait until the application is rejected, and you may lose a lot of time and possibly can't enter the Schengen area. If this happens when applying through us please do not hesitate to contact our customer support team, or better yet use it as a good excuse to utilize our services and avoid any errors occurring.
After you receive the confirmation and final document, we recommend that you save a copy of it on your phone. Then, you can show it at the airport or the border control without any problems.
What's the cost of the ETIAS Switzerland?
While the Swiss ETIAS is being developed, iVisa.com has prepared three different options for you to choose from depending on how fast you need your document:
- Standard Processing Time: This option is for travelers who still have plenty of time before their trip and can wait to receive their travel documents.
- Rush Processing Time: You will get your ETIAS faster than standard, but you will have to invest more in the process.
- Super Rush Processing Time: This is the fastest option of all. This process is perfect for those who have an urgency to travel and need the document as soon as possible.
If you choose to use iVisa.com's online service, this service will ensure that your application is approved with less hassle and less chance of mistakes. Make sure your form is error-free before submitting it. The iVisa.com team will check your form for you before submitting it to ensure that it does not have any errors that could cost you your trip.
Do children also need to complete the ETIAS Switzerland?
All passport holders must have their European visa waiver. However, the parents must complete this document for the child. If the child is traveling alone, you must include a duly notarized and signed authorization letter.
Can I get the ETIAS for free?
Yes, the ETIAS can be found free of charge on the immigration service website. However, applying for the form and preparing it on your own can be quite complicated due to how new it is and people mistake it with a passport visa.
Therefore, it is a great idea to apply for it on iVisa.com. Here you can search and complete the form in the language you need, and as an added value, you will have the help of our team of experts.
As many travelers have shared, using non-native language platforms can result in undue stress when you have to submit an official document without help.
Is the Switzerland ETIAS the same as the Schengen Visa, and can I visit other European countries?
No, these documents are different. On the one hand, the ETIAS is a new way to identify most tourists from more than sixty eligible countries who do not have a Schengen visa requirement to enter the Schengen area.
On the other hand, the Schengen visa is a mandatory document for countries that do not have a visa waiver agreement with the European Union.
Switzerland Covid-19 Travel Restrictions
Do I need a COVID 19 Vaccine to enter the country?
As of May 2, 2022, all countries have free entry to Switzerland. COVID vaccination passports or certificates are not mandatory to enter Switzerland.
Since information may change quickly, we advise you to follow up on the latest Switzerland travel updates and/or contact your local embassy.
Do I need a negative PCR Test?
There are currently no COVID-19 testing restrictions for entry into the country. But remember, you may need to take a test when you need to return to your country of residence.
Do I need to quarantine in a government health facility upon arrival?
There are no quarantine requirements for vaccinated or unvaccinated travelers to enter and travel around Switzerland.
Why buy a Covid-19 self-testing kit? (US residents only)
The eMed self-test COVID-19 kit includes 6 rapid antigen tests perfect for US citizens on round-trip journeys from the United States. Order your test kit before traveling! The Switzerland immigration service allows this.
The Certified Guide will help you get results in 15 minutes on the NAVICA app. Get the eMed self-test COVID-19 kit for $150- that’s only $25 per test. Get it now only with your passport!
What else should I keep in mind before traveling to Switzerland?
The best time for a trip to Switzerland is the warmer months between April and September when the climate is milder. But if you are a winter sports lover, we recommend the dates of January and February.
Remember that Switzerland uses the Swiss franc as the official coin. You can change your money in any Swiss federal office.
Also, we recommend having medical insurance to travel and a valid passport with you.
Who can I speak to if I have more questions?
- How Citizens of the United States Can Enter Switzerland During Coronavirus
- Covid-19 : exigences de vaccination en Suisse
- Switzerland Covid Antigen Test: Do I really need this test?
- Switzerland digital COVID certificate
- Vaccination Passport Switzerland: Here is What We Know
- Switzerland Vaccination Requirements: Do I need a vaccine to travel to Switzerland?
- How Citizens of China Can Enter Switzerland During Coronavirus
- How Citizens of Germany Can Enter Switzerland During Coronavirus
- How Citizens of the United Kingdom Can Enter Switzerland During Coronavirus
- How Citizens of France Can Enter Switzerland During Coronavirus
- How Citizens of Italy Can Enter Switzerland During Coronavirus
- Can you ski in Switzerland COVID?
- Who Can Enter Switzerland Covid: A simple Guide
- Switzerland Covid Mask Rules
- Switzerland Coronavirus Quarantine Travel
- Entry Requirements For Switzerland Covid-19
- Switzerland Covid Policy
- Switzerland Schengen Visa: Processing Time
- Switzerland (Schengen) Visa for Citizens of Nigeria
- Switzerland (Schengen) Visa for Citizens of Haiti
- Documents required for Switzerland Schengen Visa
- Switzerland (Schengen) Visa for Citizens of Pakistan
- Switzerland ETIAS for Citizens of Honduras
- Switzerland ETIAS for Citizens of Argentina
- Switzerland (Schengen) Visa for Citizens of India
- Switzerland (Schengen) Visa for Citizens of Russia
- Switzerland (Schengen) Visa for Citizens of China
- Schengen visa invitation letter Switzerland: Info and Tips
- Switzerland Schengen visa validity: Clarifications
- Switzerland Schengen visa Countries: Confirm your Status
- Schengen multiple entry visa Switzerland: Conditions
- Switzerland Schengen Visa fees
- Can I enter: Switzerland Schengen Visa?
- About the Switzerland ETIAS for Citizens of Georgia
- Switzerland ETIAS for Citizens of Costa Rica
- Details about the Switzerland ETIAS for Citizens of Colombia
- Switzerland (Schengen) Visa for Dominican Republic Citizens
- Switzerland ETIAS for Citizens of Timor
- Switzerland ETIAS for Citizens of Taiwan
- Switzerland ETIAS for Citizens of Solomon Islands
- Switzerland ETIAS for Citizens of Seychelles: Application
- Switzerland ETIAS for Citizens of Serbia
- Switzerland ETIAS for Citizens of Samoa: How to access
- Switzerland ETIAS for Citizens of Saint Vincent
- Switzerland ETIAS for Citizens of Saint Lucia: Be Prepared
- Switzerland ETIAS for Citizens of Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Switzerland ETIAS for Citizens of Peru: New Travel Document
- Switzerland ETIAS for Citizens of Palau
- Switzerland ETIAS for Citizens of Nauru
- Does the Switzerland ETIAS have Multiple Entry?
- Switzerland ETIAS Requirements
- GET SWITZERLAND ETIAS FOR THE CITIZENS OF ISRAEL FAST AND EASY
- CHECK REQUIREMENTS FOR SWITZERLAND ETIAS FOR THE CITIZENS OF EL SALVADOR
- Switzerland ETIAS for citizens of Vanuatu: How to obtain it
- Switzerland ETIAS for Citizens of Uruguay: Find out about it
- Switzerland ETIAS for Citizens of Tuvalu
- Switzerland ETIAS for Citizens of Trinidad and Tobago
- Switzerland ETIAS for Citizens of Tonga: know about it
- Switzerland ETIAS for Citizens of New Zealand: Check this out before traveling to EU
- Switzerland ETIAS for Citizens of Mauritius: Get some answers
- Switzerland ETIAS for Citizens of Hong Kong: All you need to know
- Switzerland ETIAS for Citizens of Malaysia: Discovering ETIAS
- Switzerland ETIAS for Citizens of Paraguay
- Switzerland ETIAS for Citizens of Micronesia
- Switzerland ETIAS for Citizens of Marshall Islands
- Switzerland ETIAS for Citizens of Kiribati
- Switzerland ETIAS for Citizens of Grenada
- Switzerland ETIAS for Citizens of Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Switzerland ETIAS for Citizens of Bahamas
- Switzerland ETIAS for Citizens of Antigua and Barbuda
- Switzerland ETIAS for Citizens of Panama
- Switzerland ETIAS for Citizens of Macedonia
- Switzerland ETIAS for Citizens of Nicaragua
- Switzerland ETIAS for Citizens of Barbados
- Switzerland ETIAS for Citizens of United Arab Emirates
- Switzerland ETIAS for Citizens of South Korea
- Switzerland ETIAS for Citizens of Singapore
- Switzerland ETIAS for Citizens of Dominica
- Switzerland ETIAS for Citizens of Albania
- Switzerland ETIAS for citizens of Japan: Get first hand information
- HOW TO GET SWITZERLAND ETIAS FOR THE CITIZENS OF MEXICO
- HOW CAN I APPLY FOR SWITZERLAND ETIAS FOR THE CITIZENS OF CHILE?
- LEARN MORE ABOUT SWITZERLAND ETIAS FOR THE CITIZENS OF GUATEMALA
- CHECK REQUIREMENTS FOR SWITZERLAND ETIAS FOR THE CITIZENS OF BRAZIL
- GET YOUR SWITZERLAND ETIAS FOR THE CITIZENS OF AUSTRALIA FAST AND EASY
- LEARN EVERYTHING ABOUT SWITZERLAND ETIAS FOR THE CITIZENS OF UKRAINE
- LEARN MORE ABOUT SWITZERLAND ETIAS FOR THE CITIZENS OF CANADA
- HOW TO GET SWITZERLAND ETIAS FOR THE CITIZENS OF UNITED STATES
- Switzerland ETIAS Validity
- Switzerland ETIAS cost