en | $ USD



Select Your Language

Select Your Currency

  • AED United Arab Emirates Dirham
  • AFN Afghan Afghani
  • ALL Albanian Lek
  • AMD Armenian Dram
  • ANG Netherlands Antillean Guilder
  • AOA Angolan Kwanza
  • ARS Argentine Peso
  • AUD Australian Dollar
  • AWG Aruban Florin
  • AZN Azerbaijani Manat
  • BAM Bosnia-Herzegovina Convertible Mark
  • BBD Barbadian Dollar
  • BDT Bangladeshi Taka
  • BGN Bulgarian Lev
  • BIF Burundian Franc
  • BMD Bermudan Dollar
  • BND Brunei Dollar
  • BOB Bolivian Boliviano
  • BRL Brazilian Real
  • BSD Bahamian Dollar
  • BWP Botswanan Pula
  • BZD Belize Dollar
  • CAD Canadian Dollar
  • CDF Congolese Franc
  • CHF Swiss Franc
  • CLP Chilean Peso
  • CNY Chinese Yuan
  • COP Colombian Peso
  • CRC Costa Rican Colón
  • CVE Cape Verdean Escudo
  • CZK Czech Republic Koruna
  • DJF Djiboutian Franc
  • DKK Danish Krone
  • DOP Dominican Peso
  • DZD Algerian Dinar
  • EGP Egyptian Pound
  • ETB Ethiopian Birr
  • EUR Euro
  • FJD Fijian Dollar
  • FKP Falkland Islands Pound
  • GBP British Pound Sterling
  • GEL Georgian Lari
  • GIP Gibraltar Pound
  • GMD Gambian Dalasi
  • GNF Guinean Franc
  • GTQ Guatemalan Quetzal
  • GYD Guyanaese Dollar
  • HKD Hong Kong Dollar
  • HNL Honduran Lempira
  • HTG Haitian Gourde
  • HUF Hungarian Forint
  • IDR Indonesian Rupiah
  • ILS Israeli New Sheqel
  • INR Indian Rupee
  • ISK Icelandic Króna
  • JMD Jamaican Dollar
  • JPY Japanese Yen
  • KES Kenyan Shilling
  • KGS Kyrgystani Som
  • KHR Cambodian Riel
  • KMF Comorian Franc
  • KRW South Korean Won
  • KYD Cayman Islands Dollar
  • KZT Kazakhstani Tenge
  • LAK Laotian Kip
  • LBP Lebanese Pound
  • LKR Sri Lankan Rupee
  • LRD Liberian Dollar
  • LSL Lesotho Loti
  • MAD Moroccan Dirham
  • MDL Moldovan Leu
  • MGA Malagasy Ariary
  • MKD Macedonian Denar
  • MNT Mongolian Tugrik
  • MOP Macanese Pataca
  • MUR Mauritian Rupee
  • MVR Maldivian Rufiyaa
  • MWK Malawian Kwacha
  • MXN Mexican Peso
  • MYR Malaysian Ringgit
  • MZN Mozambican Metical
  • NAD Namibian Dollar
  • NGN Nigerian Naira
  • NIO Nicaraguan Córdoba
  • NOK Norwegian Krone
  • NPR Nepalese Rupee
  • NZD New Zealand Dollar
  • OMR Omani Rial
  • PAB Panamanian Balboa
  • PEN Peruvian Nuevo Sol
  • PGK Papua New Guinean Kina
  • PHP Philippine Peso
  • PKR Pakistani Rupee
  • PLN Polish Zloty
  • PYG Paraguayan Guarani
  • QAR Qatari Rial
  • RON Romanian Leu
  • RSD Serbian Dinar
  • RUB Russian Ruble
  • RWF Rwandan Franc
  • SAR Saudi Riyal
  • SBD Solomon Islands Dollar
  • SCR Seychellois Rupee
  • SEK Swedish Krona
  • SGD Singapore Dollar
  • SHP Saint Helena Pound
  • SLL Sierra Leonean Leone
  • SOS Somali Shilling
  • SRD Surinamese Dollar
  • SVC Salvadoran Colón
  • SZL Swazi Lilangeni
  • THB Thai Baht
  • TJS Tajikistani Somoni
  • TOP Tongan Pa anga
  • TRY Turkish Lira
  • TTD Trinidad and Tobago Dollar
  • TWD New Taiwan Dollar
  • TZS Tanzanian Shilling
  • UAH Ukrainian Hryvnia
  • UGX Ugandan Shilling
  • USD United States Dollar
  • UYU Uruguayan Peso
  • UZS Uzbekistan Som
  • VND Vietnamese Dong
  • VUV Vanuatu Vatu
  • WST Samoan Tala
  • XAF CFA Franc BEAC
  • XCD East Caribbean Dollar
  • XPF CFP Franc
  • YER Yemeni Rial
  • ZAR South African Rand
  • ZMW Zambian Kwacha
Mexico Visa for the citizens of the USA
4 min read
Updated on May 14, 2024

Planning to visit the famed border destination of Mexico from the US? But concerned about whether Americans need a visa for Mexico?

Since many US citizens choose to visit Mexico for vacations, understanding the Mexican immigration authorities' rules and requirements is essential. There is no reason to panic. However, we are here to explain everything you need to know!

As an American, you cannot enter Mexico with just a valid passport. Here is everything you need to know about Mexico's visa policy, including Mexico Tourist Card requirements.

Fill me in

Do Americans need a visa for Mexico?

Americans do not require a Mexico Tourist Visa or any other Mexican visa to travel to Mexico. However, Mexican authorities require citizens of the USA to present a Mexico Tourist Card upon arrival in Mexico.

Do US Green Card Holders need a visa to go to Mexico?

US Green Card Holders do not have to apply for a Mexico Visa. Also, those who are permanent residents of the following countries: Canada, Japan, the United Kingdom, the Schengen Area, and the USA do not require Mexican visas to enter the country.

What is a Mexico Tourist Card?

The Mexico Tourist Card is a mandatory travel document required for most visitors to enter Mexico for tourism purposes. Although popularly known as a tourist visa, the Tourist Card is not officially a Mexico visa and does not replace a Mexico visa.

How long is the Mexican Tourist Card valid?

The Single Entry document is valid for 180 days after arrival and grants the holder a maximum stay of 180 days.

Who needs a Mexico FMM?

All US citizens entering Mexico for tourism, visiting family, doing business, or other short-term purposes (up to 180 days) MUST apply for a Mexican Tourist Card even if they don't need to obtain a Mexico Tourist Visa.

The type of card you require depends on how you enter the country. If you are flying into Mexico and landing at an international airport like the Mexico City International Airport, you will need a Mexico Tourist Card Air. However, if you are entering Mexico through one of its many land borders, you must apply for a Mexico Tourist Card Land.

How to apply for a Mexico Tourist Card

Fortunately, you do not need to visit the nearest Mexican consulate or Mexican embassy to apply for this document. Instead, you can apply online. That said, we know that the Mexican government website application can be complicated to navigate, so we offer a simpler and quicker application process. Follow these three steps to apply:

  • Step One: Fill out the form with your general information.

  • Step Two: Choose the processing time and make the payment.

  • Step Three: Upload the required documents and double-check that all your information is correct.

From here, our team will process your application, and you will receive your Tourist Card via email.

Do I have to apply for my kids?

Yes. Every foreign traveler wishing to visit Mexico must apply for a Mexico Tourist Card, including children.

What documents do I need to apply for a Mexico Tourist Card?

To successfully process your Mexico Tourist Card, you must provide the following documents:

  • Valid passport and a scanned copy of the first page.

  • An airplane ticket (including flight number).

  • Credit/debit card for the payment.

  • Your trip information, such as the state and the address where you'll be staying in Mexico.

  • An email address to receive the FMM.

What is the price of the Mexico Visa for the Citizens of the USA?

iVisa aims to make things easier for you; thus, our service has a price and cannot be offered for free. However, you should know that these prices are always affordable. Depending on how fast you need your FMM, you can choose one of these options:

  • Standard processing which takes 24 hours and costs USD $107.99

  • Rush processing which takes 4 hours and costs USD $162.99.

  • Super rush processing which takes 30 minutes and costs USD $228.99

What should I do if I'm just passing through Mexico?

If you're only passing through Mexico, then you don't need the Mexico Tourist Card, but keep in mind that as soon as you leave the airport there, you'll have to apply for the document.

Will I need a visa if I am not traveling for tourism purposes?

Since US citizens can travel to Mexico visa-free for up to 180 days, they may require a visa to travel beyond that period.

The Mexican government requires anyone staying in Mexico for more than six months, regardless of nationality, to apply for a Mexican Temporary Residence Permit. If you intend to work in the country, you must apply for a work permit.

COVID-19 Requirements

There are no entry restrictions, COVID testing, or quarantine requirements in Mexico. It is also not mandatory for American citizens to present a COVID-19 vaccination certificate.

Where can I find more information?

Would you like more information about Mexican visas? Read our ultimate guide to Mexico and FAQ sections or contact our 24/7 customer service team, who will happily answer any questions you may have.

  • iVisa is NOT affiliated with any government agency. This site does not provide legal advice and we are not a law firm. None of our customer service representatives are lawyers and they also do not provide legal advice. We are a private, internet-based travel and immigration consultancy provider dedicated to helping individuals travel around the world. You may apply by yourself directly on the various government websites. The source of information: https://embamex.sre.gob.mx/finlandia/index.php/traveling/visas
Chat on WhatsApp
Intercom Chat