As you may already know, transiting Sri Lanka requires a transit visa unless you are from a visa-exempt country. A visa is not necessary if you do not wish to leave the transit area, but if you do, you are not allowed to enter the country without a Sri Lanka transit visa.
Fortunately, the Sri Lanka transit visa is available online.
What is a Sri Lanka Transit Visa?
A Sri Lanka Transit Visa acts as a temporary entry permit, allowing foreign nationals to make a short stopover in Sri Lanka while en route to another destination. This visa facilitates travelers whose final destination is not Sri Lanka but are required to pass through the country, ensuring that their layover is legal and documented.
Eligibility Requirements for a Sri Lanka Transit Visa
The eligibility for a Sri Lanka Transit Visa primarily focuses on foreign nationals who are transitioning through Sri Lanka en route to another country. However, there are exceptions:
- Travelers who are passing through Sri Lanka without breaking their journey and whose onward travel is with the same carrier do not need a Transit Visa.
- Passengers included in a list provided by an airline, where the airline commits to transporting them on subsequent available flights, are also exempt from requiring a Transit Visa.
Where to Obtain a Sri Lanka Transit Visa Application Form
The application forms for a Sri Lanka Transit Visa are readily available and can be acquired from various sources such as:
- Sri Lankan Missions overseas.
- Downloadable and printable versions are available online.
Applying for a Sri Lanka ETA with iVisa
Discover our 3-step ETA application process that will get you your Sri Lanka Visa in no time.
How to apply for a Sri Lanka ETA
- Step 1 - You’ll need to fill in a visa application form with your personal information. At this point, you’ll also need to select the processing time for your Sri Lanka Visa for Indians that will best suit your needs. We explain our different processing times and fees below.
- Step 2 - You’ll be asked to double-check the information you entered in your ETA application. This is done to avoid any mistakes and potential delays in your Sri Lanka Visa for Indians application. After you’re sure everything looks OK, you’ll pay for the service. We accept credit and debit cards.
- Step 3 - Upload your passport scan. Make sure to check that your Indian passport won’t expire within the next 6 months, otherwise, your Sri Lanka Visa for Indians will be denied.
Once your Sri Lanka Visa is approved, you’ll get it via email.
If you run into any issues when filling out your application, you can contact our customer service agents. They are available to help you with your Sri Lanka Visa 24/7 through our chat.
Necessary Documents for Sri Lanka Transit Visa Application
Applicants for a Sri Lanka Transit Visa must provide substantial proof that their travel involves transiting through Sri Lanka as part of their journey to another destination.
Maximum Validity Period of a Sri Lanka Transit Visa
The Sri Lanka Transit Visa, once granted, carries a validity that permits travelers a maximum stay of two days in the country from the point of entry. This ensures that the traveler’s brief sojourn is legally accounted for while facilitating their onward journey.