United States - Open for Tourism
47,000+ Travel Documents processed by iVisa
1.2M Happy Customers 99% On Time Delivery 10 Years of Experience
Trustpilot recommended. We lead the industry in innovation and reputation

Learn More: B1/B2 Visa

Apply Today for a US B1/B2 Visa with us!

Last updated: May 2023

United States New York

Are you eager to explore or do business in the United States? You might need a US B1/B2 visa to do that.

Applying for a visa to the United States generally takes time. However, we are here to provide a seamless and hassle-free experience.

We understand the complexities and challenges that can arise during the visa application process. With our ultimate guide to the US B1/B2 visa, user-friendly platform, and downloadable app, applying for your visa will be a breeze.

Here’s everything you need to know about the US B1/B2 visa, including the application process.

What is the US B1/B2 Visa?

The US B1/B2 visa is a travel document that allows individuals from foreign countries to enter the United States for various purposes. It combines two different visa categories: the B1 visa type for business-related trips and the B2 visa type for tourism, medical treatment, or visits to family and friends.

The B1 part of the visa is for people who need to travel to the US for work-related things, like going to meetings or conferences, business deals, or meeting with clients, and the B2 part of the visa is for tourism and personal visits.

Apply here now with us!

What can you do with this US Visa?

Travelers with a B1/B2 visa can:

  • Attend business meetings, conferences, or seminars.

  • Participate in professional or educational activities.

  • Negotiate business contracts or deals.

  • Conduct research or consult with colleagues.

  • Visit family and friends.

  • Go on vacations and explore tourist attractions.

  • Seek medical treatment (if it's not your primary purpose of travel).

  • Participate in social events or cultural activities.

What can you not do with this nonimmigrant visa?

With a B1/B2 visa from the United States, you cannot:

  • Work or receive payment from a US-based employer.

  • Engage in full-time academic studies.

  • Stay in the US for an extended period beyond the allowed duration.

  • Misuse the visa for illegal activities or overstaying.

  • Operate a business or engage in productive employment.

  • Change your visa status or apply for permanent residency (Green Card) while on a B1/B2 visa.

Who can apply for the US B1/B2 Visa?

To be eligible for the US B1/B2 Visa, you must:

  • Not be from a Visa Waiver Program Country: Citizens of countries participating in the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) can visit the US for tourism or business purposes without a visa. If your country is not on the VWP list, you will need a US B1/B2 visa.

  • Not have an ESTA: The Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) is an online authorization for travelers from VWP countries. If you are not eligible for ESTA or do not possess an approved ESTA, you will need a US B1/B2 visa.

  • Meet the travel purpose requirements: The US B1/B2 visa is for individuals visiting the United States for business or pleasure. Business activities may include attending meetings, conferences, or negotiating contracts. Pleasure purposes encompass tourism, visiting family and friends, or seeking medical treatment (if not the primary purpose).

  • Intend to leave the country: Your travel to the US should be planned for a set period. The United States Immigration and Nationality Act requires applicants to prove and convey their intention to leave the country before their visa expires during the application and interview processes.

It's important to note that meeting these requirements is only the initial step. The actual visa application process involves completing forms, providing supporting documents, and attending an interview at a US embassy or consulate. The final decision on visa issuance lies with the US immigration authorities.

If you feel ready, click here to start your application.

Who is eligible for the US B1/B2 Visa?

Citizens of all countries are eligible to apply for the US B1/B2 Visa. There are no specific nationality restrictions for this visa category.

Visa Exempt: Who doesn't need to apply for the US B1/B2 Visa?

Citizens of countries participating in the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) do not need to apply for the US B1/B2 Visa for short visits. The VWP allows eligible travelers visa-free travel to the United States for tourism or business purposes.

Here are some of the countries that participate in the VWP:

  • United Kingdom

  • Germany

  • France

  • Japan

  • Australia

  • South Korea

  • Italy

  • Spain

  • Sweden

  • Switzerland

Please note that this is not an exhaustive list; additional countries are participating in the VWP.

If your country is not mentioned here, or you are unsure about your eligibility and would like to check the specific visa requirements for your nationality, use our Visa Checker Tool to find out today.

Can minors apply for the US B1/B2 Visa?

Yes, minors can apply for the US B1/B2 Visa if they plan to travel to the United States for tourism or business purposes.

US B1/B2 Visa validity: How long is the US B1/B2 Visa valid?

The US B1/B2 Visa is a Multiple Entry visa valid for 10 years after issued. With this type of visa, you can stay in the US for up to 180 days Per Entry during a temporary stay and for a specific purpose.

Can I extend my US B1/B2 Visa?

No. It’s usually not possible to extend your US Visa while you are in the United States. The consular officers will determine how long you can stay when you enter the country with a B1/B2 visa.

If you need more time in the United States than what was initially granted, you will usually need to apply for a visa extension or a status change before your authorized stay expires.

However, due to the strict immigration law in the US, getting an extension for a B1/B2 visa is rare and only approved in special situations like unexpected medical issues or other unforeseen circumstances that prevent you from leaving the country.

To request an extension, you would need to contact the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). They are responsible for reviewing and deciding on visa extension requests.

Required documents to apply for a US B1/B2 Visa

Applicants applying for the US B1/B2 Visa will need the following documents:

Valid passport: Your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond your intended stay in the United States. It should also have at least one blank page for visa issuance.

Completed visa application form: You must complete the DS-160 Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application form. This form collects your personal information and details about your purpose of travel.

Visa fee payment receipt: You must provide proof of payment for the visa application fee. The payment method and fee amount may vary based on the US embassy or consulate where you apply.

Appointment confirmation: A printed copy of your appointment confirmation page indicating the date and time of your visa interview.

Photo ID: You must bring a valid identification document that includes your photograph, such as a national identity card or driver's license.

Passport-style photo: A recent passport-size photograph meeting government requirements. You can get updated photos that meet the requirements from the comfort of your home using our passport photo service.

Additional documents that may be required:

Proof of travel intent: Documents supporting the purpose of your visit, such as a letter from your employer, business contacts, or invitation letters for conferences or events.

Financial documents: Evidence of your ability to cover the costs of your trip, such as bank statements, pay stubs, or sponsorship letters.

Travel itinerary: Details of your planned travel, including flight reservations, hotel bookings, or a general itinerary of your activities in the United States.

Ties to home country: Documents demonstrating your ties to your home country, such as property ownership, employment contracts, or family relationships.

US financial requirements

When applying for the US B1/B2 Visa, there are no specific financial requirements or minimum income thresholds set by the US government. However, it is recommended to demonstrate your financial stability and ability to cover your trip costs during the visa application process. Here are some ways to prove your financial stability:

Bank statements: Recent bank statements showing a consistent income and sufficient funds to support your travel expenses can help establish financial stability.

Payslips or employment letter: Presenting your payslips or an employment letter from your employer indicating your position, salary, and length of employment can demonstrate a stable source of income.

Sponsorship letters: If someone else is financially supporting your trip, such as a family member or a company, they can provide a sponsorship letter stating their willingness to cover your expenses during your stay in the United States. Supporting documents, such as their bank statements or financial records, may also be required.

Income tax returns: Submitting copies of your income tax returns from the previous years can serve as evidence of your financial history and stability.

It is important to note that the financial documents you provide should be genuine, accurate, and reflect your actual financial situation. Providing fraudulent or misleading information can result in visa application denial or other legal consequences.

Required documents for minors

The application process for minors is similar to that of adult applicants, but there may be some additional requirements.

Legal guardians or parents are generally required to consent and support the minor's visa application. They may need to submit additional documents, such as:

Consent letter: A notarized consent letter signed by the parents or legal guardians stating their consent for the minor to travel to the United States and outlining the purpose of the trip.

Birth certificate: A copy of the minor's birth certificate to establish their relationship with the parent or legal guardian.

Proof of guardianship: If the minor is traveling with someone other than their parent(s) or legal guardian(s), documentation proving legal guardianship or permission from the parent(s) may be required.

Additionally, it is advisable to accompany minors during the visa interview process to provide support and answer any questions.

US B1/B2 Visa application: How to apply?

With us, applying for your US B1/B2 visa is easy as you have expert guidance. Apply using these steps:

  1. Fill out our simplified application form

  2. Pay the visa processing fee. Some countries may need to pay the government fees directly to the consulate or embassy. In these instances, the fee is NOT included in our total cost.

  3. Wait for more guidance from our Visa Experts.

  4. Send the required documentation according to our expert's instructions or attend the visa interview appointment at the nearest US embassy or consulate.

Our experts will book the appointment and advise you on how to prepare for the interview. Please note that international travelers, such as children under 12 and people over 80, may be exempt from attending the in-person interview. Those applying for a visa renewal may also be able to apply for an interview waiver.

Our visa experts will guide you through the process, depending on your circumstances.

  1. After the appointment, simply wait to pick up your passport with your new visa issued inside.

US B1/B2 Visa costs and processing times

We offer standard processing for all US B1/B2 visa applications. This means we take 30 days to process your application.

(Note: This does not include the time it takes to get an interview date or how long the US government takes to process and issue your visa after the interview.)

The US B1/B2 visa processing fee through iVisa depends on your nationality. The total amount you pay us usually includes a USD $185.00 government fee. You can find out the exact total fee when you begin your application with us.

During the application process on our site, you can add services such as an iVisa Plus subscription, Premium Concierge Service, Embassy Registration, or Premium Photo Services.

We also offer iVisa Fee Protection, which allows us to process a new application for no additional processing fee if you're unable to make your trip, as well as the option to get a flight reservation or itinerary that's valid for two weeks and can be used to apply for a visa, as proof of return to show to immigration officers while traveling, for car rental purposes, etc.

All these additional services carry varying costs. Use our application form to check your application's total cost based on your circumstances.

Do I need the US B1/B2 Visa to transit through the country?

No, as the non-immigrant visa for travelers from a foreign country in immediate and continuous transit through the United States is the Transit (C) visa. However, if you already have a B1/B2 Visa, it can be used to transit through the country.

Benefits of getting your US B1/B2 Visa with us

When you use our visa services to get your US B1/B2 visa, you get more than just a more straightforward application. You are also paying for the following:

  • 100% government compliance: Our team of iVisa Experts will review all information and ensure it’s 100% compliant with government requirements.

  • Unlimited access to our Visa Experts: You’ll be assigned iVisa Experts to guide you through the application process and answer any questions.

  • A simplified form: Applying for a B1/B2 visa can be confusing and tedious. At iVisa, we’ll ensure only to include relevant questions, making the application up to 50% shorter than usual! It’s like filling out a short survey.

  • Time to apply at your own pace: Save your progress, make changes, and come back to it later whenever you need a break.

  • Step-by-step guidance: Apply with us and receive a PDF manual with all the tips to answer difficult sections, guidance on preparing for your visa appointments, and a step-by-step guide to get your document without problems.

US entry requirements or restrictions

Upon entry to the United States, foreign citizens may be asked to present the following documents:

  • Valid passport: The traveler’s passport should be presented at the port of entry for immigration officials to verify your identity and visa status.

  • Customs declaration form: You must complete a customs declaration form, which includes information about the items you bring into the country.

  • Supporting documents: It is advisable to carry copies of the documents submitted with your visa application, such as the DS-160 confirmation page, appointment letter, and additional supporting documents.

Please note that specific document requirements may vary based on individual circumstances and the traveler’s country of origin.

Apply now with us if you feel confident and ready, we will be with you every step of the way!

Differences between the US B1/B2 Visa, ESTA, and the Diversity Visa Lottery (Green Card Lottery)

The US B1/B2 Visa and the US Electronic Diversity Visa Lottery (Green Card Lottery) are two different visa programs with distinct purposes. There is also the US Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA), which is an automated system used to determine the eligibility of visitors from certain countries to travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP).

Here are the key differences between these three options:

US B1/B2 Visa:

Purpose: The US B1/B2 Visa is a non-immigrant visa that allows individuals to travel to the United States for business (B1) or tourism/pleasure (B2) purposes.

Duration: The B1/B2 visa is typically issued for a specific period, and the length of stay is determined by the US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer at the port of entry. Application: To obtain a B1/B2 visa, you must apply directly to the US embassy or consulate in your home country, providing the required documents and attending a visa interview. Eligibility: The B1/B2 visa is available to individuals planning to visit the United States temporarily for business meetings, conferences, tourism, visiting family/friends, medical treatment, or other similar purposes.

US Electronic Diversity Visa Lottery (Green Card Lottery):

Purpose: The US Electronic Diversity Visa Lottery, also known as the Green Card Lottery, is an immigration program that allows individuals from eligible countries to apply for permanent residency (Green Card) in the United States.

Selection process: The Green Card Lottery is conducted annually by the US Department of State - Consular Affairs, and participants are selected randomly through a computer-generated lottery system.

Diversity Visa Program: The program aims to diversify the immigrant population in the United States by granting permanent residency to individuals from countries with historically low rates of immigration to the US.

Application: Individuals must apply during the specified registration period to participate in the Green Card Lottery. If selected, they can proceed with the further steps of the immigration process.

It's important to note that the US B1/B2 Visa is a temporary nonimmigrant visa, while the Green Card Lottery offers a chance for permanent residency in the United States.

US Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA): Purpose: The ESTA is an online system that determines the eligibility of visitors from VWP countries to travel to the United States without a visa.

Application: Travelers must complete the ESTA application online before going to the US.

Length of stay: Under the VWP, travelers can stay in the United States for up to 90 days for business, tourism, or transit purposes.

Validity: The approved ESTA is generally valid for two years or until the traveler's passport expires, whichever comes first.

Need more information?

If you need more info about traveling to the US and your visa options, don't hesitate to contact our customer support team at any time via online chat or email [email protected]

Required Documents to Apply
  • Applicant's Photo

  • Passport Scan

  • Last American B1/B2 visa (if applicable)

Important Instructions
  • First-time and renewal applicants must have a valid passport for at least 6 months from the intended arrival date to the United States.

  • Your reason for traveling must be for business (B1) or for tourism/medical treatment (B2).

  • Renewal applicants cannot have exceeded the 6 months of stay allowed on past trips to the United States.

  • Applicants that qualify for an Interview Waiver only need to drop off the required documents at the Drop-Off Location we will indicate.

  • In some cases, applicants do not need to go in person to leave their documents; that decision depends on The United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS).

  • The DHS is the only one who can decide on the interview appointment date. Currently, some locations have an interview waitlist of more than 12 months.

  • After your interview appointment, it will take at least 4 weeks until your passport is ready with your new stamped visa.

  • At iVisa, we do all the paperwork for you and assign you an iVisa Expert who reviews your application to be 100% government compliant and avoid rejections.

  • iVisa is a legitimate company, accredited and recognized by the International Air Transport Association (IATA). For more information, see the FAQs below.

Was this page helpful?


You should contact our customer team as soon as possible. Our visa experts are available 24/7 and will be happy to help you resolve the problem.
If the government rejects your application, you are eligible for a full refund of the iVisa processing fee related to the number of rejected applicants. Otherwise, we do not refund the government fees.
The nonimmigrant visa for travelers in immediate and continuous transit through the United States is the Transit (C) visa. You can use a B1/B2 Visa to transit in the territory if you have one.
No, you don’t. You’ll need to carry both of your passports – the expired one with the valid visa and the current valid passport. The valid visa on the old passport must meet the purpose of the trip, and it should be in good condition, not damaged.
Your visa cannot expire while you are in the US, you will be considered illegal if you overstay your visa. That's why if it's about to expire you will have to apply for a renewal right away, and you can do it with us.
You must report the loss or theft to the US Embassy. If it was stolen, you must also report it to the police. Then, you must apply for a new visa by submitting a new application.
You must apply for a new visa. You’ll need to fill out a new application and pay the fee, just like the last time.

Let's stay in touch!

Join our newsletter to receive the best traveling tips

© 2014-2023 iVisa.com. All rights reserved. iVisa and iVisa logo are registered trademarks of iVisa.com.

English - en |