Getting a tourist visa for India is quite simple and 100% online. Holders of United States passport wishing to travel to India, will need to apply for an online visa. India will issue American travelers a tourist visa that allows you to enter the country for 60 days.
If you’d like to explore India one day soon, here’s everything you need to know about the frequently asked questions related to the rules, regulations, and requirements to apply for a tourist visa for U.S passport holders.
India eVisa Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to contact the Embassy for my Visa?
No need to visit an embassy. Citizens from over 150 countries including United States traveling to India for periods under 60 days can now apply online for an Indian Tourist Visa before arriving and the process is fully online. All these visas can be processed online 4 days in advance of your arrival date to India and has a window for arrival of 120 days.
What Do I need when I get to the airport?
When you get to the airport, you’ll need a valid passport, a picture ID, and your electronic visa to India which you should apply in advance. If you misplace your e-Visa, don’t worry. We re-emailed to you quickly, so you’ll still make your trip.
What is the price for an Indian e-Visa for Americans?
If ordering through iVisa, an American will pay $77 to travel to India. The processing fee is another $35, keeping your total expenses under $112.
Of course, if you need your visa rushed, there are additional fees you might opt to pay, but they are completely optional and usually not needed.
Can I get my e-Visa quickly?
When you apply for an e-visa to India through iVisa, the general processing time takes as little as 18 hours. Since the processing time is so quick, you’ll receive you electronic visa by email within 72 hours (3 business days) after applying online.
If for some reason, you need your visa rushed or prioritized to get to you even faster, simply apply online and during the application process select the rush delivery option.
What is the difference between Airport and Sea port arrivals?
Airport arrival - Flight arriving at an airport. Note that you can enter India with the tourist visa at certain point of entry:
Ahmedabad, Amritsar, Bagdogra, Bengaluru, Calicut, Chennai, Chandigarh,Cochin, Coimbatore, Delhi, Gaya, Goa, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Kolkata, Lucknow, Mangalore, Mumbai, Nagpur, Pune, Tiruchirapalli, Trivandrum & Varanasi.
Seaport arrival is when you arrive in India via a boat/ferry/cruise ship at a seaport. Entry is possible ONLY through these 3 seaports: Cochin, Goa and Mangalore.
How does the Electronic Tourist Visa look like?
Can I travel to India with a refugee travel document instead of a passport?
No. All travelers who wish to apply online for their tourist visa need to have a valid passport document.
If you have a refugee travel document, then you need to contact the nearest Indian Consulate to apply.
What are the photo requirements for an India e-visa application?
Please note that you have to upload a digital photograph as part of the process for Visa to India. The photo should meet the following requirements:
- If you want to ensure that your photo is 100%, we recommend using MyPassportPhotos.com
- The height and width of the Photo must be equal
- Photo should present Full face, front view, eyes open
- Center head within frame and present full head from top of hair to bottom of chin
- Background should be plain light colored or white background
- No shadows on the face or on the background
- Without borders
Can I go to India multiple times a year with this visa or how many times can I use it?
No. The eVisa for india as a Tourist is for a maximum of 2 visits in a calendar year.
Thus every time you apply for the eVisa it will count towards the 2 applications yearly.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you made a mistake on one (1) order/application and you need to re-apply (second order) then this also counts as two applications, even if the first one is not used. This is very important to note as you will HAVE to apply for the "3rd" visa at an Indian embassy near you.
If you require a visa with multiple entries and a longer validity then you need to contact your local Indian Consulate for more information.
How can I retrieve my India visa?
We always send you your India e-visa by email within 1 business day and usually sooner. Please check your spam folder if you have not received it.
I want a tourist visa to India, what is the fastest way to apply?
We do visas in 3 simple steps:
1) You complete your application form online (it takes less than 5 minutes)
2) You have to complete all your info as well as upload additional documents. such as your passport photo and a photo scan of your passport (our visa experts will give you guidance to make the process as simple as possible).
3) Once we have your details online, the passport photo and the passport photo information, we will process your eVisa.
The whole process shouldn’t take more than 48 hours.
Do I require a vaccine when traveling abroad to India?
Depends. Some governments require proof of yellow fever vaccination if you are arriving from a country with risk of yellow fever. You can see more info here. Its each passenger's own responsibility to verify these regulations.
Is the India e-visa for a single entry or multiple entries?
Depends on the type of visa that you apply for. Tourist and business eVisa is for double entry, and medical eVisa is for triple entry.
Does my child need a visa to travel to India?
Yes, everybody must apply for an e-visa regardless of their age.
Is it safe to use iVisa website?
Many people think that online information leaks and that their personal info is at risk of getting into the wrong hands. However, that is not the case with our services. We provide maximum safety for your personal data, confidentiality, and we invest a lot in the security of our database. Your personal information could not be safer.
Apply for an Indian Visa
More articles about India
- India Comes Alive when Monsoon Season Arrives
- India Electronic Visa Changes
- India Visa for Australian Passport Holders
- India Visa for Canadian Passport Holders
- India Visa for Malaysians
- India Visa for U.S. Citizens (Americans)
- India Visa for UK Citizens
- India business visa checklist
- India business visa fees and costs
- India business visa for Australian citizens
- India business visa processing time and duration
- Indian Business Visa
- Indian business visa for Singapore citizens
- Indian business visa for UK citizens
- Indian business visas for US citizens
- Indian medical visa
- Lost OCI Card or Lost OCI Booklet?
- Save time when landing at Indira Gandhi International Airport in Delhi
- Update on how to get your India visa online