India is a rich and diverse country with many cultures and traditions, which makes it a perfect destination for adventurers. That’s why more than a million US citizens visited the country last year.
Getting a tourist visa for India is quite simple and 100% online. Almost all nationalities need a visa for India and US citizens are not the exception. You can apply for an online e-Visa if you are planning to visit country for up to 60 days. If you plan to stay any longer than that you will need to contact the nearest Indian Consulate.
If you're a U.S Passport Holder here is everything you need to know about the requirements and regulations to apply for a tourist visa.
India eVisa Frequently Asked Questions:
Types of Indian visa for US Citizens
There are two types of Indian visa:
E-Visa: This visa lasts up to 60 days and you can get it 100% online. It applies for tourism, business and medical treatment.
Paper visa: In case you need to stay for more than 60 days you will need to apply at your nearest Indian consulate .
Is it possible to get a visa on arrival in India for US Citizens?
No. Unfortunately, India does not provide visa on arrival. Before your trip you need to applay and obtain your visa, US citizens who arrive in India without a valid visa will be denied entry.
What Do I need when I get to the airport?
When you get to the airport you will need a valid passport, a picture ID and your electronic visa to India. We suggest passengers to print out their e-Visa. If you accidentally misplace your e-Visa, we can simply email you the document again or you can find it in our customer area.
What is the price for an Indian e-Visa for Americans?
If ordering through iVisa, an American will pay $102.50 government fee for the visa to India.
If you need your visa rushed, there are additional fees you might opt to pay, but they are completely optional and usually not needed.
Can I get my e-Visa quickly?
When you apply for an e-visa to India through iVisa, the super rush processing time takes 18-24 hours, depending at what time of day you apply. Most applicants elect to receive standard processing, which means you will receive the electronic visa by email within 72 hours of applying online.
- Standard Processing: 96 hours.
- Rush Processing: 72 hours.
- Super Rush Processing: 48 hours.
What is the difference between Airport and Sea port arrivals?
- Airport arrival: Airplane arriving at an airport. Note that you can enter India with the tourist e-Visa at only certain points of entry:
(Ahmedabad, Amritsar, Bagdogra, Bengaluru, Calicut, Chennai, Chandigarh,Cochin, Coimbatore, Delhi, Gaya, Goa, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Kolkata, Lucknow, Mangalore, Mumbai, Nagpur, Pune, Tiruchirapalli, Trivandrum, Varanasi & Vishakhapatnam)
- Seaport arrival: Boat/ferry/cruise ship arrives at a seaport. Entry is possible ONLY through these 5 seaports: Cochin, Goa, Mangalore, Mumbai and Chennai.
How does the Electronic Tourist Visa look like?
Can I travel to India with a refugee travel document instead of a passport?
No. All travelers who wish to apply online for their tourist visa need to have a valid passport document.
If you have a refugee travel document, please contact the nearest Indian Consulate
What are the photo requirements for an India e-visa application?
Please note that you have to upload a digital photograph as part of the application process for the Visa to India. The photo should meet the following requirements:
- The height and width of the Photo must be equal
- Photo should present Full face, front view, eyes open
- Center head within frame and present full head from top of hair to bottom of chin
- Background should be plain light colored or white background
- No shadows on the face or on the background
- Without borders (If you want to ensure that your photo is 100%, we recommend using MyPassportPhotos.com)
Can I go to India multiple times a year with this visa or how many times can I use it?
No. The eVisa for india as a Tourist is for a maximum of 2 visits within a calendar year.
Travelers are ONLY able to get 2 e-Visas per calendar year. Thus every time you apply for the eVisa it will count towards your 2 yearly applications.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you made a mistake on your first order/application and you need to re-apply. The second order will count as your second application, even if the first one is not used. This is very important to note as you will HAVE to apply for the "third" visa at an Indian embassy near you.
If you require a visa with multiple entries and a longer validity then you need to contact your local Indian Consulate for more information.
How can I retrieve my India visa?
We always send you your India e-visa by email. Please check your spam folder if you have not received it.
I want a tourist visa to India, what is the fastest way to apply?
We do visas in 3 simple steps:
1) Complete your application form online (it takes less than 5 minutes)
2) Complete all your info and upload additional documents (such as your passport photo and a photo scan of your passport). Our visa experts will be available to give you guidance to make the process as simple as possible.
3) Once we have your details, passport photo and passport photo information, we will process your eVisa.
The whole process shouldn’t take more than 48 hours.
Do I require a vaccine when traveling abroad to India?
It depends. Some governments require proof of yellow fever vaccination if you are arriving from a country with risk of yellow fever. It is each passenger's own responsibility to verify these regulations.
Is the India e-visa for a single entry or multiple entries?
Depends on the type of visa that you apply for. The Tourist and Business e-Visa are double entry visas, and medical eVisa is a triple entry visa.
Does my child need a visa to travel to India?
Yes, everybody must apply for an e-Visa before arriving, regardless of their age.