Learn More: Tourist eVisa
VISA MALAYSIA - ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE MALAYSIA VISA
Updated: May 2022
Foreign nationals are welcome to visit Malaysia as long as they process the visa required for their trip.
The news of reopening the country was well-received by all those planning a trip to this marvelous country. White sand, waves, sunlight, and fresh air are among the things we missed the most while staying at home.
To ease travel, the immigration department of Malaysia introduced the electronic visa program. Since March 2016, foreign nationals from eligible countries can complete this visa application process online. Visitors can choose between getting a multiple-entry visa or a single-entry visa to enter Malaysia.
Below we’ll explain all you need to know about traveling to Malaysia.
What is the Malaysia visa?
The Malaysia visa or Malaysia eVisa is an official visa required that grants foreign nationals entry into Malaysia. It's available for tourism purposes. If you want to do business, work, or study in Malaysia, you’ll have to apply for a different visa directly in an embassy or consulate. Business people that wish to open a Malaysian representative office will also need to contact the embassy.
The process to obtain this nonimmigrant visa is done fully online. Once your visa is approved, it’s electronically linked to your passport.
Malaysia visa - Learn how to process your Malaysia Tourist visa with us
Who can apply for a Malaysia visa?
This visa is now available to citizens of the following countries:
China, India, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Myanmar, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Bhutan, Serbia, Montenegro, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Guinea-Bissau, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Mozambique, Nigeria, Afghanistan, Angola, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Congo Democratic Republic, Colombia, Congo Republic, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Ghana, Hong Kong, Kosovo, Mali, Niger, Rwanda.
- Most travelers will receive a single entry visa, except for Indian nationals, who are entitled to a multiple-entry visa.
Foreign visitors who are not on the list of eligible countries will need to contact the nearest embassy or consulate to get the right visa.
How do I apply for the Malaysia visa online?
Our online application process is straightforward and will take you no more than 15 minutes to complete. You need to follow these three easy steps:
- Step one: Fill out the visa application form with your personal information. Make sure that it matches the information in your original passport and supporting documents. Any inconsistencies will be cause for rejection.
- Step two: We will ask you to double-check your visa information before proceeding to the payment platform. This is done to avoid any setbacks on your application. Once you’re sure the information entered is correct, you can pay the visa fee.
- Step three: Upload all the supporting documents and submit your application. Remember that all document scans need to be legible. If your documents are blurry or smudged, we will reach out to you and ask you for new scans.
Once your Malaysia visa is ready, we will send it to you via email in a PDF document.
We recommend that applicants process their visa at least 2 weeks before their departure to Malaysia.
If you encounter any difficulties while filling out your application, you can chat online with our customer service team. They are available 24/7 to help you.
How long is the Malaysia visa valid for?
The Malaysia visa is valid for a period of 90 consecutive days. Tourists are allowed to stay in the country for a maximum of 30 days at a time.
Depending on the type of visa you’re awarded, you can enter Malaysia once or several times, as long as you do it during this timeframe and each stay doesn’t exceed 30 days.
We do not recommend overstaying in Malaysia as you might be subject to fines or deportation.
If you want to extend your stay in Malaysia, you need to contact the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or the Immigration Department to change your visa status.
What are the costs and processing time of the Malaysia visa?
We usually offer our customers different processing times, to adjust to their needs. However, in the case of the Malaysia visa, we only offer a processing time of 6 Business Days. It costs USD 80.00 to get your Malaysia visa. The price includes both our service and the government fees.
What are the Malaysia visa requirements and policy?
To obtain your nonimmigrant visa, you’ll need to have the following documents handy:
- Passport with at least 6 months of validity.
- Credit/debit card for payment.
- Recent passport-size photo.
- Copy of passport main page.
- Travel itinerary.
- Return flight ticket with E-Ticket Number (For Indian nationals who want to apply online).
- Hotel reservation or proof of accommodation. The dates in this document must match the travel dates selected in the application. This is a requirement that is demanded by the government in order to issue the travel document.
- Birth certificate for minors (if applicable).
- Cover letter (if applicable)
You might need to present a work or residence permit if living abroad. This document is not required to apply, but immigration officials may ask for it when entering Malaysia.
If you're staying with a friend/relative, you must provide a cover letter. It must include the following information addressed to an immigration officer: name and passport number, name and address of friend/relative, scanned ID of the friend/relative, and dates of travel.
Bangladesh citizens may need to show a supporting document like a passport or residence permit from the US, UK, Ireland, or Schengen countries upon arrival.
Incoming travelers will also have to prove that they have sufficient funds to cover their stay in the country.
All your visa information must match the supporting documents to be considered valid to enter the country.
Traveling with minors
If you are traveling with a minor, you can include them in your visa application. You will need to provide a copy of the child’s birth certificate to show proof of the relationship between parent and child.
If you apply through iVisa.com, you can add more travelers to your application in just one click.
Do I need a Malaysia visa if I’m transiting through Malaysia?
That will depend on your nationality.
Some transit passengers are allowed to remain at Kuala Lumpur International Airport for up to 24 hours. They will need to stay within the airport terminals. You can check with your airline representative on arrival what the specific rules are.
We recommend that you contact the nearest embassy or consulate to find out if you need to obtain a visa to transit in Malaysia.
COVID-19 requirements to travel to Malaysia
Do I need to get a COVID-19 test to enter Malaysia?
Yes. All unvaccinated tourists aged 18 and older need to get a PCR or antigen test within 48 hours of their trip and take a RAT test within 24 hours after arrival. The negative test result needs to be uploaded when they apply for the MySejahtera Traveller Health Declaration.
- Fully vaccinated travelers and children under 18 are exempted from taking a COVID-19 test to enter Malaysia.
Are vaccination passports mandatory to enter Malaysia?
No, COVID-19 vaccination passports or certificates are not mandatory to enter Malaysia. But if you carry your vaccination passport or certificate, you won't need to quarantine.
Is quarantine mandatory upon arrival in Malaysia?
Only for unvaccinated or partially vaccinated travelers. These visitors aged 18 and older will need to follow a 5-day quarantine.
If you’re fully vaccinated and present your vaccine passport or certificate, you’re exempt from quarantine.
Health Form: MySejahtera Traveller Health Declaration
All incoming travelers, whether they’re foreign or nationals, need to apply for a pre-departure Malaysia Health Declaration Form.
It is a mandatory document that helps the local government handle the risks associated with the current pandemic. It is intended to track, trace and contain infection clusters among travelers to protect locals and tourists.
You can get this document through our website, two days before your trip.
Travelers should bear in mind that connecting to a domestic flight from an international flight is not currently allowed due to the health emergency.
Applying with iVisa.com
We pride ourselves on offering a user-friendly service that follows the strictest security guidelines. We're committed to protecting your personal, payment, and visa information.
We will carefully check your visa application before sending it to the government authorities. Our team of experts ensures that your visa application is error-free so you can travel to Malaysia soon and without any setbacks. Getting your Malaysia visa has never been this easy.
To learn more about the services we offer, we recommend that you check out our review section and read what past applicants have said about us.
Where can I learn more?
If you have any further questions about the Malaysia visa, reach out to our customer care agents. They are always available online to offer the guidance you need to complete your application process easily and quickly.
Required Documents to Apply
Passport with at least 6 months of validity
Credit/debit card for payment
Recent passport-sized photo
Copy of passport main page
Return flight ticket with E-Ticket Number (Indian nationals who want to apply online)
Birth certificate for minors (if applicable)
Work or residence permit if living abroad (Not required to apply, but may be asked for when entering Malaysia).
If staying with a friend/relative, you must provide a cover letter which includes the following information addressed to an immigration officer: name and passport number, name and address of friend/relative, scanned ID of the friend/relative, and dates of travel.
Bangladesh citizens may be required at immigration to show a supporting document like a passport or residence permit from the US, UK, Ireland, or Schengen countries.
To get the Malaysia eVisa you must have a return flight to your country of origin or country of departure.
The e-Visa is valid for 3 months. Its holder is entitled to stay up to 30 days Per Entry in Malaysia.
We recommend travelers apply for the e-Visa at least 2 weeks prior to their departure to Malaysia.
Each traveler’s passport must be valid for at least six months from the planned date of entry.
A proof of accommodation is required to obtain the travel document. The dates in this document MUST match the travel dates selected in the application. This is a requirement that is demanded by the government in order to issue the travel document.
Health Insurance is required for entry to Malaysia for all travelers.
Your approved visa must be printed on letter-sized paper (color or black and white) from your e-Visa account. This important e-Visa document must be presented upon arrival in Malaysia entry and exit checkpoints. A digital visa is not accepted.
Was this page helpful?
Our customers have great stories about us
Frequently Asked Questions
Is iVisa.com a legitimate company?
Our Company is accredited and recognized by the International Air Transport Association (IATA) and has a validated IATA Agency Code. If you want to check this information you can verify our membership using our bearing No. 23716873 at http://store.iata.org/ieccacfree.
Remember that the customer service team at iVisa.com is here 24/7 to answer any questions you may have about our service.
What do I need to apply for a Malaysian Tourist e-Visa?
We require the following to submit your application:
- Scan of your passport (Valid for at least 6 months after entry into Malaysia)
- Passport photograph of the applicant (Taken within the last 6 months)
- Travel Itinerary showing flight details (confirmed and returned flight ticket)
- Proof of accommodation
- Birth certificate (for underage children)
- If staying with a friend/relative, you must provide a cover letter which includes the following information: Addressed to the Immigration Officer, Name and passport number, Name and address of friend/relative, Scanned ID of the friend/relative and Dates of travel.
Note: The government may require additional documentation after submission, which we will inform you of if this is the case.
How many entries does the Malaysia e-Visa allow?
Do I need to apply for a Tourist e-Visa to Malaysia before arriving?
Does having an e-Visa to Malaysia guarantee entry into the country?
What are the advantages of the Malaysia Tourist e-VISA?
Which entry and exit checkpoints am I allowed to use with a Malaysia e-Visa?
Can I arrive in Malaysia by ferry with the e-Visa?
How do I enter with a Malaysia Visitor Visa?
- Your e-VISA printout
- Sufficient funds (Cash/ Travellers Cheque/Debit or Credit Cards) to cover expenses during your stay at Malaysia
- Return flight ticket
- Proof of accommodation (Host invitation letter/Hotel Booking/Airbnb booking, Booking.com Confirmation etc)
How soon can I apply for the Tourist e-Visa if I have already received one this year?
How long can I stay in Malaysia with the Tourist e-Visa?
Are there special requirements when printing the e-Visa?
What are the yellow fever vaccination requirements in Malaysia?
A yellow fever vaccine is required if traveling from a country with risk of yellow fever transmission.
More information in the following link:
If I am staying with a friend/relative, what accommodation documents do I need to provide?
How long before my travel date should I apply for an e-VISA?
Can I apply for the e-VISA in Malaysia?
What should the invitation letter include?
You can use the following as the example:
Dear Immigration Officer,
My name is [Your Name] and my passport number is [Passport #].
I will be visiting Malaysia between the dates of [Start date] and [End date].
I will be staying with [name of host], who is my [relation of host] and currently resides in [host address].
I heard you sometimes have to go for an interview at the Malaysian Embassy even though the e-Visa process is completely online, is that true? How will I be notified?
On a case-by-case basis, the Malaysian Government may request a traveler to have a personal interview at the nearest Malaysian Embassy.
This does not happens very often, but we will notify you of all the details regarding the interview should it be required.
Details that we will send you by email regarding your interview will include:
- VENUE: Malaysia Embassy XXXX
- ADDRESS: XXX
- CONTACTS: XXX
- Phone Number : XXX
- Email : [email protected]
- Interview Session: DATE & TIME
Learn more about Malaysia Tourism
Where can I read more?
- How long can you stay in Malaysia without a visa?
- Visa types for Malaysia
- Malaysia Tourist Visa Documents Required
- Malaysia Tourist Visa Fees For Indian
- MALAYSIA 14 DAY QUARANTINE REQUIREMENT
- Malaysia Visa for Indians - Electronic Visa for Indian Citizens
- PCR Testing in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Malaysia Visa Requirements: Do I need a vaccine to travel to Malaysia?
- Malaysia eVisa Frequently Asked Questions
- MALAYSIA ENTRI VISA FEES AND COST
- What happens if I overstay my Malaysia Visa?
- Updated Information for Malaysia Visa Extension
- THE APPLICATION PROCESS FOR A MALAYSIA IMMIGRATION ENTRI NOTE
- MALAYSIA VISA FOR BANGLADESHI
- Malaysia visa for Sri Lankan
- Malaysia visa for Serbian citizens
- MALAYSIA VISA FOR NEPALESE
- Malaysia visa for Myanmar
- Malaysia visa for Bhutanese
- MALAYSIA VISA FOR ETHIOPIAN CITIZENS
- Malaysia eNTRI visa requirements
- Malaysia ENTRI visa photo requirements
- Malaysia eNTRI meaning
- Malaysia ENTRI for Indian citizens
- Malaysia Visa for Chinese
- Malaysia visa for Montenegrin
- How to do a Malaysia immigration ENTRI note check
- Malaysia Visa | Transit eNTRI and e-Visa
- How to get a Malaysia ENTRI online
- Can I get a Malaysia ENTRI visa online?
- Tips for visa to enjoy Malaysia