Mexico Travel Guide: All you need to know to visit country in 2023
Welcome to Mexico
- Mexico Electronic Authorization
- Mexico Electronic Pre-Registration System
- Mexico Tourist Card - Land
The country of the Aztecs, Mayan pyramids, and beautiful beaches like, for example, Playa del Carmen. It is a fascinating place with so much to offer visitors from all over the world.
The Mexican culture is very diverse, and it's easy to get friendly with fellow tourists. You can learn about their way of life, enjoy their food and drink, and learn some Spanish simultaneously. There are plenty of things to do in Mexico! In this ultimate Mexico travel guide, you will find vital information to remember when you travel to Mexico.
Document checklist for Mexico
- Valid passport
- Sufficient funds
- Return airline ticket
Essential Mexico travel information
- Currency — Mexican peso (MXN). $ 1 peso is equivalent to approx. USD 0,050.
- Daily budget for 1 person — MXN $615 ($31), up to MXN$1,734 ($86) per day, depending on your style of travel.
- Languages — Spanish.
- Socket type — There are two plug types, A and B. Mexico operates on a 127V supply voltage and 60Hz.
- Time zone — The time in Mexico is UTC −8 to −5, and in summer, UTC−7 to −5. This can change depending on where in Mexico you are. Top 3 cities to visit — Mexico City, Oaxaca, and San Miguel de Allende.
- Top 3 landmarks/monuments — Chichen Itza, Metropolitan Cathedral, and Chapultepec Castle.
Visa information for Mexico
The Mexico Electronic Travel Authorization (SAE) is a document required for travelers of certain nationalities arriving in Mexico by plane. If your Travel Authorization is approved, you will not be required to obtain a Mexican Visa.
To be 100%, we recommend you use our Checker Visa Tool. Here you will find out if you need a visa or any other type of document, such as a Tourist Card, to enter Mexico
Tourist Card-Air explained
The Mexico Tourist Card-Air facilitates entry to Mexico but does not replace a visa. It would be best to check you don't need any other permission to enter Mexico before you travel.
The Mexico Tourist Card-Air is valid for 180 days after arrival with a maximum stay of 180 days in Total anda Single Entry.
Tourist Card-Land explained
The Mexico Tourist Card-Land facilitates entry to Mexico by land, but remember this does not replace a visa.
The Mexico Tourist Card-Air is valid too for 180 days after arrival with a maximum stay of 180 days in Total, with a Single Entry.
Typical costs and budget to travel to Mexico
This is an easy guide to keep in mind the budget for your trip to Mexico.
Daily spending per person — Amid-range daily budget is MXN$1,734 ($86).
- Meals — For meals per day it costs around MXN $403 ($ USD 20).
- Transport — MXN $276 ($USD 14) on local transportation.
- Hotel — The hotel price in Mexico for a couple is around MXN $1,350 ($67)
Something important to know is that a vacation to Mexico for one week usually costs around M$12,137 for one person. So, a trip to Mexico for two people costs around M$24,274 for one week.
Transport and ways to travel around Mexico
There are many ways to travel within Mexico's cities or from one city to another. Here we mention each method of transport for you to decide which one best suits you on your trip.
Public transportation is the easiest and most economical method to take in the cities or towns of Mexico. Mexico City has a metro system, which you can take to travel around the city in an agile and easy way. Other cities also have metro systems, but smaller ones, such as Guadalajara and Monterrey.
Where there is no metro system, there are buses that will take you where you need, at reasonable prices, and you can learn to move like a local. There is also Uber or taxi drivers, but their prices are higher and more exclusive.
If you are going to travel to other major cities, buses are a perfect option as they are well-priced. Mexico has an extensive line of long-distance buses that will take you to the towns. The road infrastructure is excellent and makes for a comfortable trip.
If you prefer to travel more comfortably and don't want to waste time on the routes, you can take domestic flights with cheap rates.
Safety in Mexico, local laws, and local authorities
In Mexico, there are high rates of criminal activity; however, you do not have to rethink this when traveling since some cities are safer than others where you will have fantastic adventures despite this.
You must always be attentive and take care. You should avoid showing your belongings and walk with the exact budget you will spend on that specific day. This way you will not have any inconvenience. Mexico has advanced a lot in security in the local authorities, and you can witness this in most tourist places like Cancun, and Yucatán, among others.
It’s essential that you respect Mexican law and Mexican citizens and their culture. For up-to-date information, you can contact the Mexican Government or keep your eye on local media.
Weather in Mexico
“Mexico Lindo”, as they say in Mexico, has different weather seasons. Here, we will mention the best vacation times for you.
The dry season between November and March is the best time to visit. You could also experience the festivities of the Day of the Dead at this time of year, a traditional event, colorful and fantastical, where death is the protagonist of a symbolic and spiritual form of Mexican beliefs.
Popular cities and towns in Mexico
We present the top 5 of the most charming cities to visit in Mexico.
- San Miguel de Allende — Is a treasure of Mexico, with its cobbled streets and baroque buildings. The old houses are beautiful. Take walks in the neighborhoods and be amazed by the city's art and peaceful environment, one of the most famous in the country.
- Mexico City — Its architectural grandeur will amaze you. It would be best to visit the Plaza de la Constitución or Zócalo in the Historical Center to learn more about Mexican culture and history. You can also visit the Cathedral, the Chapultepec Castle, and the colonies like the Condesa and Roma, dynamic places that are very popular.
- Guadalajara — It is one of the most important cities in Mexico. However, despite its development, it can still feel like a charming city between the mix of modern and ancient architecture. You can visit the San Juan de Dios market to eat and taste typical quesadillas and other delicious dishes.
- Playa del Carmen — Located in the Yucatán Peninsula, it is known as the heart of the Riviera Maya. It is very popular with tourists as it is close to Cancun and Cozumel. It has beautiful beaches and crystal clear waters to enjoy swimming in the sea.
- Oaxaca — It has a grand colonial and indigenous cultural heritage. A colorful place full of flea markets where you can digest the traditional dishes of the indigenous, a unique experience of flavors that you must experience.
Must do and see in Mexico
The must-see monuments in Mexico that are also popular tourist destinations.
- Chichén Itzá is one of the most visited on the Yucatán Peninsula. They are ancient ruins that will teach you a little more about the ancient history of the Maya, one of the most important places from their empire.
- The Metropolitan Cathedral is in the heart of Mexico City. This building dazzles with its gothic, baroque, and neoclassical styles. If you love ancient architecture, it is the place for you.
- Chapultepec Castle, located in Chapultepec Park, is one of the most famous monuments in Mexico City. You will see a panoramic view of the city, enjoy its garden and explore the castle.
- Frida Kahlo Museum, learn about Frida Kahlo, an artist who symbolizes Mexican culture. In this museum, you will find her work and life.
- Cancún Underwater Museum is one of the world's most significant underwater art attractions. You can find more than 500 aquatic sculptures.
Typical Mexican food to try
Chilaquiles — It is a breakfast dish, very traditional corn tortillas, a little fried, covered with green or red sauce (hot sauce), scrambled or fried eggs, chicken, cheese, and cream. Chilaquiles are sometimes eaten with little beans. Would you like to try it?
Tacos al pastor — It's one of the most popular tacos. Its ingredients contain meat, onion, cilantro, and pineapple. There are many types of tacos, it's a universe of different tastes.
Enchiladas —A very traditional dish, corn tortillas filled with meat, cheese, seafood, beans, or vegetables. The tortillas are covered with a chili sauce, which makes a very hearty and full Mexican breakfast.
Vaccine information for Mexico
It is necessary that before traveling to Mexico, you know everything about the requirements for the Covid-19 vaccine and any other vaccines that you need to have to enter the country. You can get all the most updated information you need at CDC or even contact the Mexican Authorities.
Mexico is the largest beer exporter in the world
Yep, just as you read it, Mexico is the largest exporter of beer in the world, so if you are a beer lover, you should already know the following Mexican brands: Corona and Sol. Can you imagine drinking one of these in Cancun or Tulum while enjoying a lovely holiday on the beach?
Fun facts about Mexico
- A Mexican, invented color television, Guillermo González Camarena.
- The Day of the Dead is a national celebration. A celebration to honor the dead. This is celebrated with altars for those who have died, helping them through the spiritual journey.
- Mexico has the highest number of international visitors of any Latin American country.
- Tacos and Enchiladas are unique dishes of traditional Mexican food. In 2010, UNESCO added Mexican cuisine to the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity list. The roots of Mexican cuisine are born from the colonial era, where the indigenous prepared their meals with corn, avocado, beans, cocoa, and other ingredients.
Related ArticlesRead more
Mexico visa for the citizens of India - All you need to know
Mexico is one of the most popular destinations in Latin America. The country offers beautiful beaches, a rich culture, amazing food, and the best tequ...Jun 20, 2019
Mexico's COVID-19 Entry Requirements: All You Need to Know
For many travelers, Mexico is a popular tourist destination. The mix of typical colors and Spanish influence, ruins of Mayan cities that tell the hist...Feb 10, 2021
Mexico Visa for Russian Citizens - Entry Requirements for Mexico in 2023
Did you know that Mexico re-opened for tourism in June 2020? For travelers of certain nationalities the Mexico Electronic Travel Authorization is a re...Jun 24, 2019
Mexico Visa for the citizens of the USA
Planning to visit the famed border destination of Mexico from the US? But concerned about whether Americans need a visa for Mexico? Since many US citi...Jun 25, 2019
How it Works?
Complete our easy online application and pay with credit card or PayPal
No need to deal with the embassy. We do it for you so you don't lose valuable time
Present your Passport and the Document we provide upon entry to destination country
Complete our easy online application pay with credit card or PayPal
No need to deal with the embassy or lose valuable time at destination airport.
Present your Passport and Document we provide at destination airport. Receive visa and enter country.
Our application form is 100% digital and easy to fill-in, complete it and pay it with credit card or PayPal.
No need to deal with the embassy. We do it for you so you don't lose valuable time.
Present your Passport and the Health Declaration we provide when you arrive at the airport.
Fill out the online simplified application with the guidance of our Guide Manual.
Get unlimited support during the entire process from our team of iVisa Experts that will help you apply correctly.
Send all the required documents to the Embassy or Consulate, and attend the Visa Interview if needed.
Receive your new visa and get ready to travel!