ETIAS Netherlands: Requirements, How to Apply & More
The Netherlands is one of those EU countries that is on everyone’s bucket list and for great reasons. If you like relaxing holidays, full of marvelous landscapes, vibrant cities and lots of coffee, then this is the country to visit.
Whether you’re planning to navigate through Amsterdam’s channels or explore mansions in The Hague, you’ll need a Netherlands ETIAS to visit the country. In this article, we outline all the information you need to know about this travel document and how it allows you to visit The Netherlands and all the Schengen countries.
What is the Netherlands ETIAS?
ETIAS (European Travel Information and Authorization System) is a visa waiver that is part of the new EU travel rules scheme. It's meant to help Dutch border authorities monitor travel within the Schengen area and improve the level of security within the EU.
Every traveler that applies for the ETIAS will go through a routine criminal background check. Passengers who have an EU entry ban will be flagged by the system and forbidden to travel. The enforcement of this new travel document aims to reduce illegal immigration, terrorist attacks, criminal activity, and human traffic.
The Netherlands ETIAS is available for all those nationalities who have been able to visit the Schengen area visa-free. It can be obtained online without the need to visit the Dutch embassy.
Who is eligible for the Netherlands ETIAS?
All citizens of the 62 countries who can enter visa-free into the Schengen area can apply for this mandatory document. All they need to have is a valid passport or ID to process their online application.
If you’re unsure whether your nationality applies, you can use our visa checker tool to confirm. On our homepage, you will see a dropdown menu in which you can select your country of origin and destination (in this case the Netherlands), and you’ll know exactly what you’ll need to travel.
How long is the Netherlands ETIAS valid for?
The Netherlands ETIAS has a maximum validity of 3 years. If your passport expires sooner than that, your ETIAS will expire with it.
This document allows you to enter the country multiple times into the Netherlands. You can stay in the country for a maximum of 90 days within a 180 days period. This document is also valid to visit other EU countries, as long as your total stay doesn't exceed the 90 days period.
If you wish to extend your stay in the Schengen area, then you will have to contact the local authorities to process the right paperwork. Bear in mind that you will have to justify the extension and prove that you have enough money to cover your extended stay. Different rules might apply depending on your nationality. You can check the Dutch embassy website for more information.
What requirements do I need to apply for the Netherlands ETIAS?
All you need is a scan of your valid identity document - it can be a passport or ID - and a form of payment. Your passport or ID needs to remain valid for at least 6 months after you complete your application. Remember that once your passport expires your ETIAS will expire with it, as this travel document is electronically linked to your ID.
You will need the following information to fill out your ETIAS application:
- Passport validity - Your passport validity must be at least six months before traveling. If your passport is expiring soon, you should renew it now.
- Brief medical history - The form asks you to provide information about your health and the people traveling with you. It includes questions about medical insurance.
- Education and work experience
- Other - Those with family members who are EU citizens will need to provide proof of relationship or other information.
- A valid email address - We will email your Belgium ETIAS document.
- Payment - Credit and debit card payments are available.
Once your travel document is ready, you’ll receive it via email. We recommend that you print it and carry the hard copy when you travel to the Netherlands. The Dutch border authorities might require it.
How do I apply for the Netherlands ETIAS online?
To get your travel authorization, you’ll need to fill out our short, 3 step online application form, where you’ll provide personal and travel information and pay the visa fee.
Once we receive your application, one of our travel experts will carefully review it and ensure it’s error-free. We’ll reach out to you to edit your application free of charge before processing it if we find any inconsistencies. The Dutch government will run a standard background check in order to approve your travel authorization. Once they approve your ETIAS, you’ll receive it via email.
Remember that the local authorities will deny your Netherlands ETIAS if you have a current EU entry ban.
What are the costs and processing time of the Netherlands ETIAS?
We still don’t have the exact processing times and costs for this travel document as the Schengen countries are still implementing it. However, we usually offer three processing speeds for all applications.
- Standard Processing Time: With this option, you have to wait a bit for your documents to arrive, but it comes at an affordable price.
- Rush Processing Time: You’ll be able to receive your document faster by paying a little extra.
- Super Rush Processing Time: Obtain your document at a less economic price but in the shortest possible time.
Once the local authorities define the prices for this travel authorization, we’ll be sure to update you.
Traveling with minors: Do children need a Netherlands ETIAS?
Minors will also need to carry their ETIAS to travel to the Netherlands, as not requiring an ETIAS will represent a security risk for the EU Schengen countries. Minors are especially at risk of being trafficked, which is why it’s the responsibility of the parent or legal guardian to fill out an application on their behalf. Both ETIAS will be electronically linked and the parent's or guardian's criminal record will be checked before their trip. This way the Dutch government can reduce illegal immigration and human trafficking within their borders.
You can easily include a minor in your ETIAS application form by clicking ‘Add passenger’. All you need to do is complete the additional form with their passport information. You receive all the ETIAS via email.
Do I need a Netherlands ETIAS if I’m transiting through the Netherlands?
Yes, all travelers entering the Netherlands are required to obtain an ETIAS regardless of how long they will remain within the Dutch borders. If you're transiting, you should apply for your ETIAS before you enter the Netherlands.
COVID-19 Entry Requirements
There are no mandatory testing requirements to enter the Netherlands. However, you are obligated to self-quarantine and self-test immediately if you present any COVID-19 symptoms. It’s highly recommended that you get health and travel insurance before your trip.
If you come from a high-risk country, you must be fully vaccinated and present proof of vaccination to enter the Netherlands.
Approved vaccines are Pfizer, AstraZeneca, Johnson & Johnson, Moderna, Serum Institute of India, Sinopharm BIBP, and Sinovac.
You are considered fully vaccinated if two weeks have passed after receiving the second dose or 28 days after receiving the Janssen vaccine.
Quarantine is no longer required upon arrival in the Netherlands. The only exception is those travelers who present symptoms during their trip, who must self-quarantine.
Regardless of their nationality, all incoming travelers aged 12 and over must complete a health declaration form to enter and exit the Netherlands. This form will help government officials manage the risks associated with the coronavirus pandemic. Please be aware the Health Declaration Form does not replace a visa. If your country requires a visa, the immigration officers will ask for it when you enter the country. Keep in mind some nationalities will require a paper visa. If that is your case, we suggest you contact your local embassy.
You can include your Health Form in your application for the Netherlands ETIAS. It will come at an additional cost. You can find more information about this mandatory document in our Health Declaration product page FAQs section, including processing times and costs.
Applying with iVisa.com
The Netherlands’ entry rules can be hard to navigate, but don’t worry; that’s precisely why we’re here. We provide you with a team of travel experts who are available 24/7 to assist you with any questions.
We have been processing travel documents for years and have worked hard to improve and simplify our processes. We also enforce strict security measures to keep your personal information safe at all times. We take our business very seriously, that's why we invite you to check out our review section to learn more about what our past customers have said about us.
Where can I learn more?
Directly with our customer support team. If by now you didn’t find the answers you were looking for, you can reach out to them through the chat bubble on our website. They’ll be happy to assist you throughout the process or offer you any travel advice you might need.
- How can citizens of the United States enter Netherlands during coronavirus?
- Which COVID-19 vaccines are approved for travel for Netherlands (July 2021)
- Netherlands digital COVID certificate
- PCR Testing in Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Vaccination Passport Netherlands
- Netherlands COVID-19 Rules
- Netherland Quarantine Requirements During Coronavirus
- Netherlands COVID 19 entry restrictions
- COVID 19 Test Netherlands for travel
- Netherlands Vaccine Requirements: Do I need a vaccine to travel to the Netherlands?
- How Citizens of Switzerland Can Enter the Netherlands During Coronavirus
- How citizens of Spain can enter the Netherlands during coronavirus
- How Citizens of Italy Can Enter the Netherlands: During Coronavirus
- How Citizens of France can enter the Netherlands during Coronavirus
- How citizens of the United Kingdom can enter the Netherlands: during Coronavirus
- How Citizens of Belgium Can Enter the Netherlands During Coronavirus
- How citizens of Germany can enter the Netherlands during Coronavirus
- Do I need a vaccine to travel to Netherlands?
- How can I obtain the Netherlands 14 day quarantine requirement?
- Top 10 things to see and do in the Netherlands
- Best places to visit in Netherlands: tips for the ultimate travel itinerary
- How to travel around the Netherlands: The perfect 7-day itinerary
- Netherlands Health Declaration is not working
- How much is the Floriade entry fee? (Learn all about its price here)
- When is Floriade and how can I enjoy this big event?
- Where is Floriade located? (See here all you need to know)
- Netherlands (Schengen) Visa for Citizens of Haiti
- Netherlands (Schengen) Visa for Citizens of Pakistan
- Netherlands (Schengen) Visa for Citizens of India
- Netherlands (Schengen) Visa for Citizens of Afghanistan
- Netherlands Schengen Visa Validity
- Netherlands Schengen Visa cost
- Netherlands Visa Policy
- Netherland (Schengen) Visa for Citizens of CHINA
- Netherland (Schengen) Visa for Citizens of RUSSIA
- Netherlands (Schengen) Visa for Citizens of Nigeria
- Netherlands (Schengen) Visa for Citizens of Dominican Republic
- Netherlands Schengen Visa countries
- Netherlands ETIAS for Citizens of Tuvalu
- Netherlands ETIAS For Citizens Of Trinidad And Tobago
- Netherland ETIAS for Citizens of Tonga
- Netherlands ETIAS for Citizens of Timor
- Netherlands ETIAS for Citizens of Taiwan
- Netherlands ETIAS for Citizens of South Korea
- Netherlands ETIAS for citizens of Solomon Islands
- Netherlands ETIAS for Citizens of Singapore
- Netherlands ETIAS for Citizens of Seychelles
- Netherlands ETIAS for Citizens of Serbia
- Netherlands ETIAS for Citizens of Vanuatu: Your Guide
- Netherlands ETIAS for Citizens of Uruguay
- Netherlands ETIAS for Citizens of United Arab Emirates
- WHAT IS NETHERLANDS ETIAS COST?
- Netherlands ETIAS for Citizens of Samoa
- NETHERLANDS ETIAS FOR CITIZENS OF SAINT VINCENT
- NETHERLANDS ETIAS FOR CITIZENS OF SAINT LUCIA
- NETHERLANDS ETIAS FOR CITIZENS OF SAINT KITTS AND NEVIS
- NETHERLANDS ETIAS FOR CITIZENS OF PERU
- NETHERLANDS ETIAS FOR CITIZENS OF PARAGUAY
- NETHERLANDS ETIAS FOR CITIZENS OF PANAMA
- NETHERLANDS ETIAS FOR CITIZENS OF PALAU
- NETHERLANDS ETIAS FOR CITIZENS OF NICARAGUA
- NETHERLANDS ETIAS FOR CITIZENS OF NEW ZEALAND: ALL ABOUT
- NETHERLANDS ETIAS FOR CITIZENS OF NAURU: CHECK REQUIREMENTS
- NETHERLANDS ETIAS FOR CITIZENS OF MONTENEGRO: KNOW MORE
- NETHERLANDS ETIAS FOR CITIZENS OF MOLDOVA: HOW TO GET IT
- NETHERLANDS ETIAS FOR CITIZENS OF MICRONESIA: LEARN MORE
- NETHERLANDS ETIAS FOR CITIZENS OF MEXICO: ALL ABOUT IT
- NETHERLANDS ETIAS FOR CITIZENS OF MAURITIUS: KNOW MORE
- NETHERLANDS ETIAS FOR CITIZENS OF MARSHALL ISLANDS
- NETHERLANDS ETIAS FOR CITIZENS OF MALAYSIA: LEARN MORE
- NETHERLANDS ETIAS FOR CITIZENS OF MACAO: ALL ABOUT IT
- Netherlands ETIAS for Citizens of Kiribati
- Netherlands ETIAS for Citizens of Japan
- Netherlands ETIAS for Citizens of Israel
- Netherlands ETIAS for Citizens of Hong Kong
- Netherlands ETIAS for Citizens of Honduras
- Netherlands ETIAS for Citizens of Grenada
- Netherlands ETIAS for Citizens of Georgia
- Netherlands ETIAS for Citizens of El Salvador
- Netherlands ETIAS for Citizens of Dominica
- Netherlands ETIAS for Citizens of Costa Rica
- Netherlands ETIAS for Citizens of Chile
- Netherlands ETIAS for Citizens of Canada
- Netherlands ETIAS for Citizens of Brunei
- Netherlands ETIAS for Citizens of Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Netherlands ETIAS for Citizens of Barbados
- Netherlands ETIAS for Citizens of Argentina
- Netherlands ETIAS for Citizens of Antigua and Barbuda
- Netherlands ETIAS for Citizens of Albania
- Netherland Schengen Visa multiple entries
- Processing time for Netherland Schengen visa
- Documents Required for Netherland Schengen Visa
- CHECK REQUIREMENTS FOR NETHERLANDS ETIAS FOR THE CITIZENS OF GUATEMALA
- HOW CAN I APPLY FOR NETHERLANDS ETIAS FOR THE CITIZENS OF BRAZIL?
- HOW TO GET NETHERLANDS ETIAS FOR THE CITIZENS OF AUSTRALIA
- GET NETHERLANDS ETIAS FOR THE CITIZENS OF UKRAINE FAST AND EASY
- CHECK REQUIREMENTS FOR NETHERLANDS ETIAS FOR THE CITIZENS OF CANADA
- LEARN MORE ABOUT NETHERLANDS ETIAS FOR THE CITIZENS OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
- WHAT IS NETHERLANDS ETIAS MULTIPLE ENTRY FEATURE?
- LEARN MORE ABOUT NETHERLANDS ETIAS VALIDITY?
- WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT NETHERLANDS ETIAS REQUIREMENTS
- UEFA Euro 2020 Amsterdam - Netherlands Visa