Oman Visa Policy
The visa policy of Oman states rules in place regarding foreign nationals who seek to visit this country. The Visa policy of Oman determines whether a traveler can enter its territory and which visas are required by them to do so.
Depending upon the purpose, nationality, and period of stay of the traveler, various types of visa options are available, such as Oman eVisa, Visas for GCC residents, employment visas, work visas, and residence visas. On the other hand, there exist certain countries, whose citizens are exempt from all Visa requirements to visit Oman.
To know about the Oman Visa Policy in detail, read below.
Tourist Visa Policy for Oman
There is more than one kind of visa for travelers seeking to visit Oman for tourism purposes, mostly depending upon the nationality of the traveler. Oman eVisa functions as a tourist visa and citizens of eligible countries as well as GCC residents can apply online to obtain it. According to the Oman Visa Policy, if visitors are not eligible for an eVisa they can apply for an Oman tourist visa from an embassy. Below is detailed information about the Oman Visa Policy for travelers of different nationalities.
The Oman eVisa
The Oman eVisa system was implemented in 2018 by the Royal Oman Police to facilitate online visa applications. An eVisa for Oman is an online visa that can be obtained by eligible travelers through an online application form. Depending upon the option selected in the application form, there can be 2 types of eVisa for Oman: a single-entry visa and a multiple-entry eVisa. However, the terms & conditions vary with the option selected.
Single-entry Oman tourist visa
- Permits travelers to enter the country once
- Stay for up to 30 or 90 days depending upon the option chosen
- Can be extended once for not more than additional 30 days
Multiple-entry Oman tourist visa
- Permits multiple entries during a one-year period
- Each stay may be up to 30 days
- Cannot be extended.
As per the Oman Visa Policy, the eVisa is available to citizens of around 220 countries across the world.
Below is the list of countries eligible to obtain an eVisa for Oman (when they are not an official resident of a GCC country).
The Oman eVisa: Country list
- American Samoa
- Antigua and Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- British Indian Ocean Territory
- British Virgin Islands
- Brunei Darussalam
- Burkina Faso
- Cape Verde
- Cayman Islands
- Central African Republic
- Christmas Island
- Cocos Islands
- Cook Islands
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Dominican Republic
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Falkland Islands
- Faroe Islands
- French Guiana
- French Polynesia
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Marshall Islands
- New Caledonia
- New Zealand
- Norfolk Island
- North Korea
- Palestinian Territory
- Papua New Guinea
- Pitcairn Islands
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Cyprus
- Russian Federation
- Saint Helena
- Saint Lucia
- Saint Pierre and Miquelon
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- Syrian Arab Republic
- Trinidad and Tobago
- Turks and Caicos Islands
- United Kingdom
- United States
- United States Virgin Islands
- Vatican City
- Wallis and Futuna
Documents Required for a Tourist Visa
As per the Oman Visa Policy, to apply online for an Oman tourist visa, the following documents are required:
- Completed Oman tourist visa application
- Passport with minimum 6 months validity from the date of arrival
- Recent passport-style photograph
- Supporting documentation when applicable
Since all documents are uploaded in digital format, there is no need to submit the paperwork at the Oman Embassy or Consulate.
Visas are generally issued within 24 hours of submitting the request, granting an easy and quick entry into the country.
Information Required to Complete the Application Form
Below are given basic personal information and travel details are required to complete the application form.
- Personal information such as name, date of birth (DoB), gender, and nationality of the applicant
- Passport details - number, issue date, and expiry date
- Contact details - with one current email address
- Travel information - intended date of entry
The Oman Visa Policy states that residents of Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) countries can apply for the Single-entry Oman tourist visa for GCC residents which is,
- For travelers who have a GCC residence card valid for a single entry of up to 28 days.
- Can be extended once for not more than 7 days.
The Requirements of an Oman eVisa For GCC Residents
In order to be successfully approved for a eVisa for GCC countries applicants will need to:
- Not have another type of Oman visa
- Have a passport with minimum 6-month validity
- Have a valid hotel booking in Oman
- Have a return ticket to their country of arrival or an onward destination
- Supporting documentation, which includes the following:
- A digital photograph of the applicant
- A scan of the passport
- A copy of the GCC Visa
- GCC resident card's copy with minimum 6 months validity
Who is exempt from Oman Visa Requirements?
As per the Oman Visa Policy and immigration rules, nationals of 5 countries can travel to Oman without a visa. These visa-exempt countries, located around the Persian Gulf, are members of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC), along with Oman. The GCC, established in 1981, has consisted of the same 6 member countries, all on the Arabian Peninsula. This union permits citizens of all 6 countries to travel freely between GCC member states without applying for a visa.
All nationals of the other 5 member states can visit, live in, and work in Oman without a visa.
Moreover, foreign nationals can transit through Oman for up to 6 hours without a visa, provided they are leaving on the same flight and have onward tickets.
Visa Not Required for Oman: Country list
- Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirates
Other Visas for Oman
To visit Oman for purposes other than tourism, almost all foreign nationals shall apply for the relevant visa at an embassy. For instance, Oman work visa, residence visa, or business visa.
Embassy or Consular Visa Required for Oman: Country list
- Aland Islands
- Federated States of Micronesia
- Isle of Man
- Northern Mariana Islands
- Saint Barthelemy
- Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Saint Martin
- Sint Maarten
- South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands
- Svalbard and Jan Mayen
- Diplomatic and Official Passport Holders
Diplomats and persons who are on official visits to Oman may enter without a visa for up to 90 days using their diplomatic or official passport.
Visa exemption for Oman is a special privilege for diplomatic and official passport holders from the following countries:
- South Korea
- The Oman Visa Policy states that some foreign nationals can enter Oman if they already have a visa for the Emirate of Dubai, without applying for a separate Omani visa.
This is because Dubai and the Sultanate of Oman have an agreement among themselves to promote tourism between their countries.
There is a similar agreement between Qatar and Oman. It permits certain foreign nationals to visit Oman using a valid Qatar visa instead of an Oman visa.