logo logo
en | $ USD

Woo Hoo! We've updated iVisa's brand! Hope you like it as much as we do.

37,500+ Travel Documents processed by iVisa

1.2M happy customers


+42,000 reviews

10 years of experience

98% visa approval rate

Learn More: Tourist Card - Land

Apply today for the Mexico Tourist Card for land travel with us!

Last updated: November 2023

Whether you're strolling through the dynamic streets of Mexico City, relaxing on the sandy beaches of Cancun, or exploring the ancient ruins of Chichen Itza, Mexico's charm is in its rich cultural diversity and stunning natural settings. If you're planning to travel to Mexico using a car, bus or train, you'll need to apply for the Mexico Tourist Card for land travel.

We know too well the headache of visiting different websites to get the most accurate and up-to-date information about travel documents. That's why we've compiled this guide to help you understand the Mexico Tourist Card for land travel, its requirements, and how to apply.

Let's get started!

Mexico tourism landscape

What is a Mexico Tourist Card?

The Mexico Tourist Card, also known as the Forma Migratoria Múltiple (FMM), is a mandatory document for tourists entering Mexico via land, air, or sea. It serves as proof of a visitor's authorized entry into the country and indicates the permitted duration of their stay.

This document is a separate entity from the traveler's passport and, where applicable, their visa. It helps the Mexican government keep track of the number of visitors and their contact details in case of an emergency. The Tourist Card consists of two sections. Upon arrival at the border, one section is handed to the traveler after being processed, while Mexican immigration authorities retain the other.

When exiting Mexico, travelers must present this card and their passport to immigration officials. It's therefore important to keep the Mexico Tourist Card safe for the duration of your stay in Mexico.

What can you do with the Mexico Tourist Card for land travel?

The Mexico Tourist Card for land travel allows you to:

  • Visit Mexico for leisure, tourism, or recreational purposes.

  • Carry out business-related activities, study short-term courses, and do volunteer work.

  • Live anywhere in Mexico according to the number of days you're granted.

What can you not do with the Mexico Tourist Card for land travel?

Once you're issued with a Mexico Tourist Card for land travel, you cannot:

  • Seek employment.

  • Work to earn money.

  • Become a permanent resident of Mexico.

Who can apply for the Mexico Tourist Card for land travel?

To be eligible for the Mexico Tourist Card for land travel, applicants must meet the following criteria:

  • You're a foreign national traveling to Mexico.

  • You must hold a valid passport.

  • You will not stay in Mexico for longer than 180 days.

Who is eligible for the Mexico Tourist Card for land travel?

All international visitors to Mexico are eligible for the Mexico Tourist Card, regardless of their country of citizenship.

Countries that require a visa as well as those that are visa-exempt​ must also apply for a Mexico Tourist Card. The eligible countries include:

Afghanistan Congo Hungary Nepal Solomon Islands
Åland Islands Cook Islands Iceland Netherlands Somalia
Albania Costa Rica India New Caledonia South Africa
Algeria Croatia Indonesia New Zealand South Korea
Andorra Cuba Iran Nicaragua South Sudan
Angola Czech Republic Iraq Niger Spain
Anguilla Democratic Republic of the Congo Ireland Nigeria Sri Lanka
Antigua and Barbuda Denmark Israel Niue Sudan
Argentina Djibouti Italy Norfolk Island Suriname
Armenia Dominica Ivory Coast North Korea Svalbard and Jan Mayen
Aruba Liberia Jamaica Northern Mariana Islands Swaziland
Australia Libya Japan Norway Sweden
Austria Dominican Republic Jordan Oman Switzerland
Azerbaijan Ecuador Kazakhstan Pakistan Syrian Arab Republic
Bahamas Egypt Kenya Palau Taiwan
Bahrain El Salvador Kiribati Palestinian Territory Tajikistan
Bangladesh Equatorial Guinea Kuwait Panama Tanzania
Barbados Eritrea Kyrgyzstan Papua New Guinea Thailand
Belarus Estonia Laos Paraguay Timor-Leste
Belgium Ethiopia Latvia Peru Togo
Belize Falkland Islands Lebanon Philippines Tokelau
Benin Faroe Islands Lesotho Pitcairn Islands Tonga
Bermuda Federated States of Micronesia Luxembourg Poland Trinidad and Tobago
Bhutan Fiji Saint Pierre and Miquelon Portugal Tunisia
Bolivia Finland Macau Puerto Rico Turkey
Bosnia and Herzegovina France Macedonia Qatar Turkmenistan
Botswana French Guiana Madagascar Republic of Cyprus Turks and Caicos Islands
Brazil French Polynesia Malawi Reunion Uganda
British Indian Ocean Territory Gabon Malaysia Romania Ukraine
British Virgin Islands Gambia Maldives Russian Federation United Arab Emirates
Brunei Darussalam Georgia Mali Rwanda United Kingdom
Bulgaria Germany Malta Saint Barthélemy United States
Burkina Faso Ghana Marshall Islands Saint Helena United States Virgin Islands
Burundi Gibraltar Martinique Saint Kitts and Nevis Uruguay
Cambodia Greece Mauritania Saint Lucia Uzbekistan
Cameroon Greenland Mauritius Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Vanuatu
Canada Grenada Mayotte Samoa Vatican City
Cape Verde Guadeloupe Moldova San Marino Venezuela
Cayman Islands Guam Monaco São Tomé and Príncipe
Central African Republic Guatemala Mongolia Saudi Arabia Vietnam
Chad Guernsey Montenegro Senegal Wallis and Futuna
Chile Guinea Montserrat Serbia Yemen
China Guinea-Bissau Morocco Seychelles Zambia
Christmas Island Guyana Mozambique Sierra Leone Zimbabwe
Cocos Islands Haiti Myanmar Singapore Liechtenstein
Colombia Honduras Namibia Slovakia Lithuania
Comoros Hong Kong Nauru Slovenia Saint Martin

Who doesn't need to apply for the Mexico Tourist Card for land travel?

Travelers who hold the following documents aren't required to apply for a Mexico Tourist Card for land travel:

  • Holders of Mexico temporary resident visas.

  • Holders of Mexico permanent resident visas.

Do minors have to apply for the Mexico Tourist Card for land travel?

The requirement for the Mexico Tourist Card applies to every person traveling to Mexico, including children and diplomatic personnel.

This means minors must also obtain a Mexico Tourist Card to enter the country.

Mexico Tourist Card for land travel validity: How long is the Mexico Tourist Card valid?

The Mexico Tourist Card allows visitors to stay in the country for up to 180 days in Total. However, the immigration officers at the point of entry decide the number of days you are given.

The Tourist Card is a Single Entry document, and once you leave Mexico, you'll need to apply for a new one.

Can I extend my Mexico Tourist Card for land travel?

No, you cannot renew or extend a Mexico Tourist Card. You must leave the country before your Tourist Card expires, or you'll be fined based on the number of days you overstayed.

Mexico nature view

Mexico Tourist Card requirements

To apply for the Mexico Tourist Card when arriving by land, applicants need the following:

  • Passport: It must be valid for at least 6 months before your intended departure date from Mexico.

  • Travel itinerary: You'll need to provide your chosen entry point into Mexico, the purpose of your visit, and your planned duration of stay.

  • Proof of accommodation: You may be asked to provide details of where you plan to stay in Mexico, like a hotel reservation and its physical address.

  • Invitation letter: You may need to provide a letter from the Mexican organization inviting you to a business-related activity or a letter of acceptance from an educational institution to study for a maximum period of 6 months.

How to apply for the Mexico Tourist Card for land travel

If you want a streamlined application process that is easy to follow and minimizes the occurrence of errors, applying for your Mexico Tourist Card using our platform is your best bet.

We've simplified the application process into three simple steps:

  • Step 1: Enter your personal and travel details on our website or via the iVisa app.

  • Step 2: Verify that all your information is accurate and choose your preferred processing time. Pay the fees with a credit or debit card, PayPal, or Venmo.

  • Step 3: Once it's ready, we'll email you your Mexico Tourist Card. Download and print it.

When you arrive in Mexico, you must present the printed Tourist Card and your passport.

Mexico Tourist Card costs and processing times

  • The cost of applying for a Mexico Tourist Card for land travel is approximately USD $42.00. This fee is paid during the online application process.

However, if you're staying in Mexico for less than 7 days, the Mexico Tourist Card is free.

When you choose to use our visa service, there's an additional surcharge depending on the processing time you choose:

  • Standard processing, which takes 24 hours.

  • Rush processing, which takes 4 hours.

  • Super rush processing, which takes 30 minutes.

Do I need the Mexico Tourist Card to transit through the country?

For those transiting through Mexico, there's no need to apply for a Mexico Tourist Card.

However, individuals who need a visa to enter Mexico based on their nationality will require a visa, even if they strictly seek to transit through Mexico.

Benefits of getting your Mexico Tourist Card with us

When you choose our platform for your Mexico Tourist Card, you're not just selecting a service; you're choosing a superior experience. Here's why our platform stands out from the rest:

value prop image

Apply for your Mexico Tourist Card here

Mexico entry requirements or restrictions

Mexico has lifted all COVID-19-related entry restrictions. Travelers entering Mexico aren't required to present a negative COVID-19 test or undergo quarantine upon arrival. However, it's always advisable to check the Mexican government website for the latest travel advisories and requirements before your trip, as policies can change.

Differences between a Mexico Tourist Card for land travel and a Mexico Tourist Visa

While they might sound similar, the Mexico Tourist Card and the Mexico Tourist Visa serve different purposes and are required under different circumstances.

The Mexico Tourist Visa is a formal document issued by the Mexican government that grants entry to foreign nationals who require a visa to enter Mexico.

While the Mexico Tourist Visa is a permit required for certain nationalities to enter Mexico, the Mexico Tourist Card is a mandatory entry requirement for all foreign nationals visiting Mexico, regardless of whether they need a Tourist Visa.

The Mexico Tourist Card is used to keep an official record of all visitors and is necessary for both visa-required and visa-exempt travelers.

Please consider using our visa checker tool to find out if you need to apply for a Mexico Tourist Visa with us!

Where can I learn more about the Mexico Tourist Card for land travel?

For more information about the Mexico Tourist Card, you can get in touch with our customer support team. Please send us a message on our live chat or at [email protected].

Required Documents to Apply

  • Your valid passport. It must be valid for at least 6 months after your arrival in Mexico.

Important Instructions

  • The Tourist Card (FMM) is a travel document that facilitates entry to Mexico but it does not replace a visa.

  • The Tourist Card (FMM) is usually valid for up to 180 days after arrival.

  • With the Tourist Card you can extend your stay in Mexico.

  • You can apply for a Tourist Card within 30 days of your arrival in Mexico. We recommend you apply before your trip to avoid complications.

  • If you are traveling with children they will also have to apply for this travel document.

  • We will send you two pages showing your Tourist Card. Make sure you do not cut or alter them in any way as this may invalidate them.

  • Make sure that the Mexican officials stamp your card.

  • If your nationality requires a paper visa, immigration officers at the airport will ask for the visa as well as the Tourist Card. We suggest you print a physical copy of the document.

  • If you are only going to do stopovers or transit through Mexico, you don’t need the Tourist Card.

  • There are no COVID-19 testing, requirements, or quarantine requirements for travelers to Mexico.

  • iVisa is a legitimate company, accredited and recognized by the International Air Transport Association (IATA). For more information, see the FAQs below.


Please contact our customer service team, who is available 24/7 and will help you resolve the problem.

Our iVisa experts review all applications and supporting documents to help you avoid rejections. However, if government officials find errors and reject your application, iVisa will refund your iVisa processing fee.

Note: Government fees will not be refunded.

You may reapply if your Mexico Tourist Card was canceled or rejected.

Two possible things can happen if you lose your Mexico Tourist Card:

  • If you obtained your Tourist Card online, you can print a new form. Please be aware that you may need to pay a fine of up to USD 60, depending on the Immigration Authorities.​

  • If you lost a "handwritten" Tourist Card, you must make an appointment with an Immigration Office to get a new form. Please be aware that you may need to pay a fine of up to USD 60 to replace it.

Unfortunately, you cannot apply for a tourist card if this is the case, as your passport MUST be from one of the Eligible Countries to apply.
No. Your passport must be valid for the next 180 days as the Tourist Card lasts 180 days and allows a maximum stay in Mexico of 180 days. Thus, your passport CANNOT expire before your Tourist Card does.
At iVisa, we understand that your time is valuable, and we strive to provide you with the fastest service possible. Our processing times are estimated based on the average duration it takes governments to process visa applications. These estimated times begin from the moment we receive all the correct information for your application until you receive your visa. While we work diligently to expedite the process, it’s important to note that we are reliant on the processing times set by the government authorities.
  • iVisa is NOT affiliated with any government agency. This site does not provide legal advice and we are not a law firm. None of our customer service representatives are lawyers and they also do not provide legal advice. We are a private, internet-based travel and immigration consultancy provider dedicated to helping individuals travel around the world. You may apply by yourself directly on the various government websites. The source of information: https://embamex.sre.gob.mx/finlandia/index.php/traveling/visas

Stay in touch!

Join our newsletter to receive the best traveling tips

Thanks! Please check your email and confirm you want to join our Newsletter.

© 2014-2024 iVisa.com. All rights reserved. iVisa and iVisa logo are registered trademarks of iVisa.com.

en flag English
Intercom Chat