Learn More: ETA
Updated April 2022
Australia has been open for international travel since February 21, 2022. If you're planning to travel to Australia, you should know that you'll need to get an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) before your trip.
In this article, we will share with you up-to-date information about the visa requirements and the step-by-step process you'll need to follow to complete your Australian visa application.
Australia is a top destination worldwide and whether you want to visit for tourism or business purposes, this is the right visa for you. Once you learn how to get your Electronic Travel Authority to enter Australia, you'll be all set to enjoy the country's top attractions.
What is an Australian visa?
An Australian Visa or Australia ETA grants entry to passport holders of selected countries. Visitors can travel to Australia for tourism or business purposes with this document. Your ETA does not authorize you to live permanently or work in Australia. It is intended only for short-term business or tourism stays.
The application process is done fully online, and the visa is processed by Australia's department of home affairs.
Australian Visa Requirements
Getting the Electronic Travel Authority is easier than you might think. You can complete the application process from your home or office and go ahead with your travel plans as soon as you are ready. The only requirement for this visa is having a valid passport from one of the current members of the list you'll find below.
Who can apply for an Australia ETA?
Citizens from over 50 eligible countries can visit Australia with this electronic visa.
However, being on the list does not guarantee that you can get a visa. We recommend you use our visa checker tool to see the current application status for citizens of your country.
- The eligible countries are: Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong (SAR of China), Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Monaco, Norway, Portugal, Republic of San Marino, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan (excluding official or diplomatic passports), The Netherlands, United Kingdom—British Citizen, United Kingdom—British National (Overseas), United States of America, and Vatican City.
In some circumstances, there are additional restrictions for travelers planning to visit Australia for tourism or business. For example, visitors cannot have any criminal convictions to be eligible for an ETA. Also, this visa cannot be used to get medical treatment in Australia. In both cases, you'll need to apply for a different visa (a Visitor - Subclass 600 visa). If these restrictions apply to you, you'll need to contact the Australian embassy or consulate near you to get the right visa for your travel plans.
But in most cases, you can apply for your Australia ETA through our website. There's no need to visit an embassy or consulate to get this travel permit. If you hold more than one passport, you must declare it at the time of your application. And, if one of those passports is an Australian passport, you don't need to apply for this document to travel to Australia.
Remember that the Australia ETA is only valid for tourism or business purposes.
When should I apply for my Australian visa?
Getting your visa can take up to 24 hours, which means you should give the application process a day to be completed. That being said, for travelers who are in a rush, we offer processing speeds that are as fast as 1 hour.
Visitors are not allowed to apply for their ETA from Australia. So you will need to complete your application from your country of origin.
In case your visa expires while you're in Australia, you would have to leave the country and apply for a new ETA before returning. You can also contact the immigration office to explore other visa types that might fit your individual circumstances.
We do not recommend staying in Australia beyond your visa validity period, as it might result in fines or future travel restrictions.
How long does the Australian Visa last?
Once you get your Electronic Travel Authority, you'll be able to see the validity period on the document. This expiration date will either be 1 year after issued, or the expiration date of your passport, whichever is earliest.
For example, if your ETA is approved in June 2018, but your passport expires in February 2019, your ETA won't last for a year. It will expire in February 2019, on the same date as your passport.
After your passport or visa expires, you can apply for an ETA again.
How many times can I enter Australia with this visa?
Your valid Australian visa allows for multiple entries. You can visit the country as many times as you like, within the timeframe stated on the document. The only thing you need to consider is that each stay cannot be over 90 days.
Please note that if you're transiting through Australia for less than 8 hours and you remain in the transit area, you don't have to apply for an ETA. However, there are some passport holders that must get a transit visa. We recommend checking the website of your local Australian embassy or consulate to find out more about this visa.
What do applicants need to apply online for the Australian Visa?
The Australian government requires that applicants have a valid passport to be able to apply for this electronic visa. It cannot be expired or in poor condition. It should also have blank pages available for every entry into Australia.
With this document handy, you'll be able to complete the online application form. You'll also need a credit or debit card to pay the fee and a valid email address to receive your document. This visa is not stamped on your passport, but it is electronically linked to it.
How to complete the Australian Visa application using iVisa.com services
It's quite easy, the whole process takes 5 minutes or less, in just 3 steps:
- First, you'll need to fill out an online form with your personal information. The information needs to be exactly as it is stated on your passport. Otherwise, you might risk your visa being rejected.
- Second, we'll ask you to double-check the information to make sure there are no errors. That way we can ensure the fastest service. If everything looks good, you move forward to selecting how soon you want to receive your visa.
- Third, you pay for our visa services with your debit or credit card.
Once your visa is approved, we will send it to you via email. You'll be able to use this visa to travel to Australia on a temporary basis, whether for tourism or for business purposes.
Do children also need to complete the Australian Visa application?
Yes, all passport holders, regardless of their age, will need to apply for a valid visa to travel to Australia.
If you use our visa services, you can include all your family members in the same application. We will process all the visas separately and you'll receive one PDF document for each traveler.
We recommend that you print the visas before your trip to Australia.
What's the cost of the Australia Visa and how long does it take to process it?
The price of your visa will depend on how fast you want to get it:
- Standard processing time is 24 hours and it costs USD 55.00
- Rush processing time of 4 hours which costs USD 85.00
- Super rush processing of 1 hour for USD 120.00.
All our service prices include the Australian government fee of USD 20.00.
Australia COVID-19 Entry Requirements
The Australian authorities have been taking steps to restore international travel while also protecting the health of the community. In order to enter Australia, all visitors need to carry their COVID-19 vaccine passport or vaccination certificate.
- The accepted vaccines are Pfizer, AstraZeneca, Moderna, Sinovac, Sinopharm, Bharat Biotech, Sputnik V, Novavax, and Johnson & Johnson. At least 7 days must have passed since you completed your full course of vaccination.
If you cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons, you'll have to submit the proper medical certificates upon arrival. Travelers who arrive in Australia without the proper vaccination or medical certificates will risk getting their visas canceled.
- COVID-19 test prior to arrival: Pre-departure tests are no longer required.
- Quarantine requirements: Vary depending on the state you visit. We recommend checking the Australian Health Department's website for more information.
It's not necessary for incoming travelers to carry health insurance but it is recommended.
All passengers arriving by air will need to complete a Digital Passenger Declaration within 72 hours before their trip. In it, they will include their contact details, their vaccination status, and their travel history for the last 14 days. This document is legally binding and mandatory before entry.
You can apply for this document along with your Australia ETA.
If I have more questions, who can I contact?
For additional information, you can contact our customer support agents. They are available 24/7 to answer any further questions you might have about Australia's visas and our services. If you apply with us, they will also be able to provide updates on the status of your visa application.
Required Documents to Apply
A current valid passport
A credit/debit card
US RESIDENTS ONLY: To return to the US you’ll need to take a COVID-19 test the day before your entry date. Don’t waste time looking for a test lab in Australia. Simplify travel with the purchase of an eMed test kit. Order yours now and pack it in your luggage. Then follow the Certified Guide’s online instructions to take the mandatory test 24 hours before your journey back to the US.
The Australian ETA visa is a Multiple Entry visa with a validity period of 1 year after issued, allowing a maximum stay of 90 days Per Entry.
You are permitted to stay beyond your visa's validity date, but not beyond the 90 days Per Entry
Your ETA does not allow you to work within Australia: it is intended only for business and tourist activity.
If you have a long name or multiple given names, only the first 24 letters will appear on your visa.
People with dual nationality should choose the nationality according to the passport to be used for the travel.
Your passport must be valid (not expired) when you board your flight and when you enter Australia. It must be an ordinary/regular passport.
Your ETA visa is electronically linked to your passport number. There is no stamp or label in your passport.
As the holder of a ETA, this visa allows you to stay for a maximum of 90 days Per Entry.
If you obtain a new passport for any reason, you will need to re-apply for a new Australian ETA.
The ETA visa is valid through to the expiration date listed on it, which is the last day you have the authority to enter Australia.
This expiration date of the Australian ETA will be either 1 year after issued, the expiration of your passport, or earlier if a current visa already exists in the immigration system. For example, if your ETA approval is in June 2018, but your passport expiration is in February 2019, your ETA will expire on the same date of your passport; otherwise it will expire in June 2019.
Was this page helpful?
Our customers have great stories about us
Frequently Asked Questions
Is iVisa.com a legitimate company?
Our Company is accredited and recognized by the International Air Transport Association (IATA) and has a validated IATA Agency Code. If you want to check this information you can verify our membership using our bearing No. 23716873 at http://store.iata.org/ieccacfree.
Remember that the customer service team at iVisa.com is here 24/7 to answer any questions you may have about our service.
Do I need a COVID vaccine or vaccination certificate to enter Australia?
Yes, Australia has been taking steps to restore travel within its borders. In order to enter Australia, you’ll need to display your COVID vaccine passport or vaccination certificate.
Accepted vaccines are Pfizer, AstraZeneca, Moderna, Sinovac, Sinopharm, Bharat Biotech, Sputnik V, Novavax or Johnson & Johnson. At least 7 days must have passed since you completed your full course of vaccination.
Do I need a negative COVID-19 test result to enter Australia?
Why buy a COVID-19 self-testing kit? (US residents only)
The eMed self-test COVID-19 kit includes 6 rapid antigen tests that meet major US airline's entry requirements- perfect for travelers on round-trip journeys from the United States!
Order your test kit before your trip and it will be delivered to your home address for easy testing, anywhere, anytime. The Certified Guide will help you get results in 15 minutes on the NAVICA app. Get the eMed self-test COVID-19 kit for $150- that’s only $25 per test.
Do I have to quarantine on arrival to Australia?
- Quarantine requirements: Differ by state.
- Quarantine exemptions: Travelers arriving from New Zealand. There are no quarantine requirements in NSW, Victoria and the ACT.
What is an Australian ETA?
What do I need to apply for an Australian ETA?
We require the following to submit your application:
- A valid passport
- A credit/debit card and an email address for confirmation.
How long does it take to obtain an Australian ETA?
It depends on the method of processing time you choose. We offer three options:
- Standard processing: 24 hours - USD 55.00
- Rush processing: 4 hours - USD 65.00.
- Super rush processing: 1 hour - USD 100.00.
What is the cost to obtain an Australian ETA?
How long is an ETA valid for?
What conditions must the applicant’s passport meet for an ETA?
How does the Australian ETA work?
What are the yellow fever vaccination requirements to travel to Australia?
A yellow fever vaccine is required if traveling from a country with risk of yellow fever transmission.
More information in the following link: https://www.who.int/ith/ITH_Annex_I.pdf
Is my ETA valid for multiple entries?
Who is eligible for an Australian ETA?
I made a mistake on my application, what can I do?
What is an ETA visa?
Does my ETA come with any restrictions?
- You may not work.
- Your visit must be no longer than 3 months (per visit).
- You must not have tuberculosis (TB)
- You must not have any criminal convictions.
Can I apply for an ETA in Australia?
How long can I stay in Australia?
Do I need an ETA for my children if they're traveling to Australia with me?
If I am only passing through Australia, do I need an ETA?
Do I need to have a flight booked before applying for the visa?
My passport is valid for less than six months. Can I still apply for an ETA?
Do I need to enter Australia on the exact date specified on my ETA?
What if I want to enter Australia before my ETA validity period?
If I already possess a valid Australian ETA, can I apply for a new one?
How do I know if my Australian ETA is still valid for travel to Australia?
Learn more about Australia Tourism
Where can I read more?
- AUSTRALIA VISA FOR UK CITIZENS
- Australia ETA processing time - How long does it take?
- AUSTRALIA VISA FOR US - Can I Travel to Australia from USA?
- Australia Transit Visa For Indian Citizens
- How can citizens of Canada enter Australia during coronavirus?
- How Citizens of Singapore can enter Australia during Coronavirus?
- How Citizens of the United States can enter Australia during Coronavirus?
- Vaccination Passport Australia: The Complete Guide
- Australia Covid Quarantine Hotel
- Australia Covid Test
- Australia Covid Travel Restrictions
- How Citizens of the United Kingdom Can Enter Australia During Coronavirus
- How Citizens of China Can Enter Australia During Coronavirus
- Australia Covid Entry Rules
- Australia Vaccination Requirement: Do I need a vaccine to travel to Australia?
- How Citizens of Australia Can Enter Nepal During Coronavirus
- HOW TO ENTER AUSTRALIA DURING COVID-19 FOR PERMANENT RESIDENTS
- HOW TO ENTER AUSTRALIA DURING COVID-19 FOR IMMEDIATE FAMILY
- HOW TO ENTER AUSTRALIA DURING COVID-19 FOR NEW ZEALANDERS
- Australian visa for Swedish citizens
- Australia ETA for Citizens of Germany
- Australia evisitor countries
- Australia ETA validity
- Australia eVisitor visa for the citizens of Estonia
- Australia eVisitor visa for the citizens of Sweden
- Australia eVisitor visa for the citizens of Hungary
- Australia eVisitor visa for the citizens of Vatican City
- Australia eVisitor visa for the citizens of Norway
- Australia eVisitor visa for the citizens of Latvia
- Australia eVisitor visa for the citizens of Switzerland
- Australian visa for French citizens
- Australian visa for Swiss citizens
- Australian visa for Irish
- Australia eVisitor visa for the citizens of Iceland
- Australian visa for Austrian
- Australia eVisitor visa for the citizens of the Republic of San Marino
- Australia eVisitor visa for the citizens of Lithuania
- Australia ETA for the citizens of Hong Kong
- Australia eVisitor visa for the citizens of Finland
- Australia ETA for US citizens
- Australian visa for Finnish citizens
- Australia Visa Policy
- Is there an Australian visa for Singapore Citizens?
- Australia ETA for the citizens of the Netherlands
- Do I need a Business ETA for Australia?
- What is an Australia eVisitor Visa (Subclass 651)?
- Australia eVisitor visa for the citizens of Belgium
- Australia eVisitor visa for the citizens of Croatia
- Australia eVisitor visa for the citizens of the Czech Republic
- Australia eVisitor visa for the citizens of the United Kingdom
- Australia eVisitor visa for the citizens of Slovakia
- Australia visa for Monegasques
- Australia visa for Icelanders
- Australia visa for Sammarinese
- AUSTRALIA VISA FOR HONG KONGERS
- AUSTRALIA VISA FOR MALAYSIANS
- AUSTRALIA VISA FOR DUTCH CITIZENS
- Can I get an ETA for Australia online?
- What is an Australia ETA (subclass 601)
- Is the Australia ETA free?
- Australia visa for Liechtenstein
- An easy way to get an ETA or an Australian visa
- How to apply for an Australia ETA
- AUSTRALIAN VISA FOR DANISH CITIZENS
- AUSTRALIA E-VISITOR VISA COST
- CAN I GET AN AUSTRALIA VISA EXTENSION?
- Australia visa for Luxembourg
- Essential Australia
- AUSTRALIA TRANSIT VISA FEES
- Australia Visa for Canadian Citizens
- Australia ETA Frequently Asked Questions
- HOW TO ENTER AUSTRALIA FOR THE ICC T20 WORLD CUP
- AUSTRALIA TRANSIT VISA REQUIREMENTS
- Surfing and enjoying with a Visa to Australia
- AUSTRALIA VISA FOR PORTUGUESE CITIZENS
- How to apply for an eVisitor visa (Subclass 651) for Australia
- Australian visa for Italian citizen
- Do I need an Australia ETA or an eVisitor?
- Australia visa for Japanese
- Australian visa for Spanish citizens
- AUSTRALIA ETA FOR MALAYSIAN CITIZENS
- Australian visa for Greek citizens
- Australia visa for Norwegians
- Australia ETA cost and fees
- Australian visa for German passport holder
- AUSTRALIAN VISA FOR BELGIAN CITIZENS
- Australian ETA for British passport holders
- MUST I APPLY FOR AN AUSTRALIAN ETA STRAIGHT AT THE ISSUING AUTHORITY?
- AUSTRALIA VISA FOR MALTESE
- Australia eVisitor visa for the citizens of Romania
- AUSTRALIA EVISITOR VISA FOR THE CITIZENS OF BULGARIA
- AUSTRALIA ETA RENEWAL - WHEN IS IT NECESSARY?
- How to perform an Australia ETA check
- Is the Australia eVisitor visa necessary for USA citizens?
- AUSTRALIA VISA FOR ANDORRANS
- AUSTRALIA VISA FOR SOUTH KOREAN
- Australia ETA for the citizens of Canada
- Australia ETA for the citizens of Italy
- Australia eVisitor visa for the citizens of Poland
- Australia eVisitor visa for the citizens of the Netherlands
- Australia ETA for the citizens of Singapore
- Australia eVisitor Visa processing time and status check
- Is the eVisitor visa for Australia free?
- Is the eVisitor for Australia a multiple entry visa?
- AUSTRALIA VISA GROUP APPLICATION
- AUSTRALIA VISA FOR BRUNEIANS
- Australia eVisitor Frequently Asked Questions (Helpdesk)
- Australia eVisitor visa requirements
- Which one do I need? The Australia ETA or visa?
- Do I need an ETA or a travel visa for Australia?
- Must I get an ETA or a tourist visa for a trip to Australia?
- Australia ETA for the citizens of UK
- Australia ETA requirements
Other Available Visas: Australia?
- eVisitor Application
- ETA Application
- Maritime Travel Declaration
- Maritime Travel Declaration Application
- Travel Declaration
- Travel Declaration Application
- Visitor Visa (subclass 600)
- Visitor Visa (subclass 600) Application
- COVID-19 Travel Request
- COVID-19 Travel Request Application
- Australia Transit Visa Enquiry Form
- Australia Transit Visa